Crazy Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teambop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2009
St. Louis, MO
'83 to '88 Monte Carlo SS with a stroker buick v6 grand national engine & 5-speed Keisler behind it. Maybe a '78 to '93 Fox Body 'Stang with a 535 Butler or KRE Pontiac along with a viper six speed. Could a '70 Dodge Challenger with a 455 Buick possibly ruffle some feathers? Or a '53 Convertible Vette with a 383 Olds back by a 4-speed draw crowds at a Super Chevy Show? Try this for a kicker a '87 442 with a efi 500 olds with a sts kit could be the ultimate sleeper! Show up at a Mopar Madness show with a '67 Belvadere with an 467 procharged Pontiac in between the frame rails now that'll cause a conversation piece no doubt! Prowl the streets with a '69 Camaro with a 514 stroker Ford up under the hood! Talk about an element of surprise! I know if I own a '65 Mustang Fastback it will have a 468 Olds efi with a turbonetics turbo in it. After all daring to be different doesn't has a price tag!!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
You'd need a better block than a BBO if your were to turbo one. You'd spend a fortune on girdles and such just trying to keep it together. Be better off to start with a 350DX.
There's a guy on Oldspower.com that has a homemade turbo setup on his 455 similar to an STS kit. Apparently runs pretty decent but he's also not pushing a lot of boost either.
Once you hit the 600HP mark your starting to reach the limits of a stock block.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
I had a 1971 Cutlass with a Buick 430, Pontiac Turbo 400 and a Chevelle 12 Bolt.

teambop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Yeah I thought about adding a hair dryer to my BBO to help my "luxury with attitude" theme. I am still doing my homework on turbos. My BBO isn't aimed for being a high winding package so I am building it for what its known for & that is earth moving torque! I thought about adding a 6-71 huffer but I don't feel like messing with different size blower belts & I think Blower Drive Service is the only company that make Blower intakes for Olds. I post this topic because me & my buddies was hella bored & was talking shop about what engine combos for cars that would be different & very few would attempt :mrgreen:

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I did see a Mecury Capri on ebay a while back with an Olds 350 in it :shock: It was in Ohio and I was really considering buying it.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Hampton makes blower intakes as well.

Actually, no one technically "makes" a blower intake for an Olds. What they do is take an Offenhauser dual quad intake and then mill it to accept a blower pad. Then weld things together.

I'm debating what I'd like my next engine to be. I'm thinking my next car will be a '65 Jetstar 88 or Delta 88 like this:

IMGP1716.jpg

A few ideas I have thrown around is a 350DX engine with twin turbos and EFI, 350DX with a 6-71 blower on it, a 496cid stroker Big Block or the most expensive of the bunch, an all aluminum DRCE engine in the 650cid range.

The simplest of the bunch would be the 496cid stroker. These produce around 630ft/lbs and should get a large car like that moving.
The next car I have I'm building as cruiser. I'll update things like the brakes and suspension but I'll keep an automatic as well as a carb. Much simpler that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor