Crooked steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Can you even get 90⁰ on the wheel with tie rods? Seems like a lot.....

... You can on one side.

My problem is the wheel was resplined off about 20 degrees for some unknown reason so the tie rods still worked. The car had an Aftermarket U-joint lower shaft that didn't have a flat and I kept cranking on the Allen screws because I thought the on center slop was due to loose lower shaft. I got a Jeep GC lower shaft and bolted it on and THATS when I ran out of Tie rod on one side.

I thought "maybe Jeep GC lower shafts aren't a direct bolt in" for a fleeting second before I grabbed my tool to pull the steering wheel.

That is when I discovered the Spline's missing on the wheel and lock ring and started everything over from scratch, putting the flat on the Steering box input shaft up, and building everything from there.

The oncenter slop went away.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The OP didn't mention steering slop, just a crooked steering wheel. But looking at his first pic I see a lot of car missing. Therefore if I were him I would start at the steering box, as suggested, and trace everything to be sure all is as it should be. If everything checks out then the only thing left is the tie rods. I have even seen the shaft installed 180° off at the upper column end, then the wheel bastardized to fit, so anything is possible.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
seat needs adjusted,,,lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor