Cruise control and neutral safety switch

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've tried that but it still shows nothing and it's a brand new vss sensor from g body parts
What color is the box? Green or yellow? It needs to be green. GM p/n 25007463.

The chance of a "faulty" park/neutral switch is 1 in 10 zillion. Misadjusted? Maybe. But bad? Likely not.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Even then the switch comes into play when you're trying to start the car, not when the key is in the normal RUN position. Not even sure why they have it in that diagram.

When the car is in gear that switch is open...

EDIT: OP calling things by the wrong name why I'm tracking on what I am.

Last edited:

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
What color is the box? Green or yellow? It needs to be green. GM p/n 25007463.

The chance of a "faulty" park/neutral switch is 1 in 10 zillion. Misadjusted? Maybe. But bad? Likely not.
It's definitely green I know the yellow is for digital instrument panel

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ok, good. This means that you shouldn't throw a code 24 at the wrong time when the ECM "thinks" you're in Park or Neutral and driving down the road. Otherwise, the ECM could care less what other gear you're in.

Clear all your codes before doing anything related to the VSS. A code 24 that sets when you're not moving doesn't count. Most of the time when a speedo cable breaks or comes loose and you're driving around is when you usually get a 24 code.

Speedometer working ok.
Lift drive wheels and support rear axle so the car can spin the wheels without going anywhere. SAFETY FIRST. Be extra careful if you do this in your garage or close to other objects/cars.
Backprobe CKT 437 and be ready to check for voltage to ground
Start car, let idle, and place in drive. Voltage should vary from 1 to 6 volts.

If it's <1 Volt, there's a short or poor connection at the ECM. If it's 8-12 volts and steady, you have an open somewhere in CKT 437. If it's not shorted or open, it's likely a faulty VSS. If it is 1-6 volts, everything is working as expected.

Reactions: 1 user

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Ok, good. This means that you shouldn't throw a code 24 at the wrong time when the ECM "thinks" you're in Park or Neutral and driving down the road. Otherwise, the ECM could care less what other gear you're in.

Clear all your codes before doing anything related to the VSS. A code 24 that sets when you're not moving doesn't count. Most of the time when a speedo cable breaks or comes loose and you're driving around is when you usually get a 24 code.

Speedometer working ok.
Lift drive wheels and support rear axle so the car can spin the wheels without going anywhere. SAFETY FIRST. Be extra careful if you do this in your garage or close to other objects/cars.
Backprobe CKT 437 and be ready to check for voltage to ground
Start car, let idle, and place in drive. Voltage should vary from 1 to 6 volts.

If it's <1 Volt, there's a short or poor connection at the ECM. If it's 8-12 volts and steady, you have an open somewhere in CKT 437. If it's not shorted or open, it's likely a faulty VSS. If it is 1-6 volts, everything is working as expected.
Yes speedometer works fine just bounces a little bit. I have backed probed the ckt437 and there no voltage there . I see that this wire goes out the car through the wire loom. So I'm wondering if it shorted some where

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Disconnect CKT 437 at the VSS. If you get 10 volts or more at CKT 437 then, the VSS is faulty. If still no voltage after disconnecting, check the 437 wire to ensure it's not grounded/shorted somewhere else.

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Disconnect CKT 437 at the VSS. If you get 10 volts or more at CKT 437 then, the VSS is faulty. If still no voltage after disconnecting, check the 437 wire to ensure it's not grounded/shorted somewhere else.
I should have stated that I did this test at the ecm connectors. I know for a fact that the vss sensor has 12v when I installed the new sensor

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor