Cruise control and neutral safety switch

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Can anyone give me any insight on the cruise control and neutral safety switch? The problem I'm having is the brand new vss sensor doesn't have voltage when I have back probed the connection at the ecm.ive read in the chassis service manual that the neutral safety can have an effect on the rest of the system. neutral safety isn't ready voltage when I have back probed it also

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Given the Neutral Safety Switch breaks the circuit for the starter only and only matters when the key is in the start position, I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be a factor.

I'd be checking your ignition power wires, basically when the key is on, as well as grounds.

Last edited:

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Given the Neutral Safety Switch breaks the circuit for the starter only and only matters when the key is in the start position, I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be a factor.

I'd be checking your ignition power wires, basically when the key is on, as well as grounds.
Ok apparently my vss signal doesn't show voltage but the sensor itself has power to it

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Here's the diagnosis from a 1986 Cutlass. It should be the same. Sorry that it's a little small, but that's as big as I can make it.

Attachments

• IMG_0003 (3).JPG
    IMG_0003 (3).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0004 (5).JPG
    IMG_0004 (5).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 63

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor