Cruise Control Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Hello there. First thread!

I am currently trying to remove my Cruise Control. However, I don't know what to do with the cruise speedo cable. When I remove it the speedo does not work. Is there a process I can follow to disable this second speedo cable so that I can use my speedometer, and delete my cruise control?

Thank you.

Stuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2010
depends on the car, which you didnt mention, but you probably can get a normal non cruise speed cable as a last resort.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Sorry about that.

It's a 1983 Monte Carlo. It is not an SS.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
othtim said:
Sorry about that.

It's a 1983 Monte Carlo. It is not an SS.

The cruise is inline with the speedo cable. You need to remove both shorter cables and install a single, non-cruise cable directly from the trans to the speedo. Note that the mechanical cruise unit was only used through 1983. Later cars used an electronic cruise module that got speed info from the VSS. Thus, the cable from any 1984-88 G-body with the same trans should work fine (though be sure you have a cable with the correct attachment at the speedo head - some snap in and some screw on).

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks. Next time I'm at the boneyard I'll see what I can get. I really appreciate the response.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
anybody have a part number for this? I'm too lazy to get my cruise to work again, and it would clean up my engine bay even more so why not? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor