CS130 Wiring Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm looking for some help wiring up my CS130 alternator. With the BAT connection on the back of the alternator, where does this wire go? Do you run a wire from the BAT connection back to the battery?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I found the info I needed. But now I need to know what gauge wire to run from the BAT terminal to the battery in the trunk. All I have right now is 10 gauge and I don't know if that is big enough or not.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I had a chart around here somewhere, lemme find it and I'll post it.

How many amps are the Alt?

Here is a chart for the battery cable. Are you going from the Battery in the trunk to the Starter? If so, why not run the Alternator charging cable right to the starter lug?

normal_WiresizingchartBW.jpg

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
patmckinneyracing said:
Is it going to charge the battery if I run it to the starter lug?

Yes, of course. Any copper connection back to the battery's + terminal is fine. Just be aware that the longer run means more copper, more resistance, and possibly the need for a larger gauge wire.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I already bought 13ft of 8 gauge wire as that is what I read in multiple forums. I wasn' sure if running it to the starter would charge the system and battery. But if I remember right, the stock BAT wire ran to the starter anyways.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Yes, you'll be fine. As long as you have a large enough wire from the Batt to the starter lug, the wire going from the alt to the starter, just like stock, will be fine.

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
hey pat on the cs130 does your pigtail only have 2 wires? the one i got off a blazer only has 2 wires, 1 at F and 1 at L. from what i have read all i need to do is hook the L wire to the brown factory alternator wire and i should be good. is this the case with you? just wanting to check before i screw something up. thanks

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If you have an idiot light in your dash that typically shows a picture of a battery with the word "GEN", then yes all you have to do is hook the L with the brown wire. If not, then Napa sells a conversion pigtail with resistors built in to compensate for the lack of the idiot light. The brown wire needs to have enough resistance for the alternator to work properly and the idiot light gives the system that resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor