CS144 Alternator, is this damn thing wired right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
El cam is directing you.

If your idiot light isn’t working ,and it previously was, then you don’t have it hooked up correctly.

It sounds like your pigtail has the F and L pins swapped on the alternator pigtail. Look at the attachment. It appears you bought a generic pigtail for the alternator, it will require to be wired differently depending on the setup the vehicle has. I doubt the alternator is no good, but anything is possible.
So it's not supposed to be red to red, brown to brown?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The plug in the alternator - 4 wire, needs to have the idiot light wire in the L pin.

I’ve never seen a plug that isn’t labeled P L F S.

I’m guessing you need to move the brown wire from the F pin to the L pin.

Perhaps a pic of the plug. And as ELCAM mentioned, be sure the brown wire has 12 volts in it with the key on and engine running (usually it hit even with the engine off and the key on).

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The plug in the alternator - 4 wire, needs to have the idiot light wire in the L pin.

I’ve never seen a plug that isn’t labeled P L F S.

I’m guessing you need to move the brown wire from the F pin to the L pin.

Perhaps a pic of the plug. And as ELCAM mentioned, be sure the brown wire has 12 volts in it with the key on and engine running (usually it hit even with the engine off and the key on).
My plug is a specific adapter and only has two wires coming out of it. I don't think I can depin that plug itself. I'll check after work what is going where on the CS side of the plug. The thing that gets me is it will charge eventually but it takes a long time to "kick in". You can definitely tell when it decides to kick in. Lugs the engine down quite a bit.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
user7146_pic941_1262910988.jpg

If your car has a voltmeter, you may need to add an 83ish ohm resistor on the L wire to not overcharge. If you have the dummy light, make sure it is not burnt out or it will fail to excite. I used a big diode on mine to prevent backfeeding, but a resistor should work fine.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I have .3v at the idiot light wire to the alt (brown), and can confirm the batt light will not come on no matter how much I hwack the dash. Changing the bulb now.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Is your alternator plug wired correctly?

You should be able to ground the brown wire from the engine harness and that will make the idiot light illuminate.

If you want to hold off on pulling the dash, then wire in a light bulb (194 clearance bulb works well in a socket) to the brown wire to act as the idiot light. The light should go out as soon as the motor starts.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Was a ****y bulb. Should probably go and replace them all but cleaning the contacts seems to have fixed it. Poking the bulb making it turn on and off I could engage and disengage the Alternator.

• Useful

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
you can do away with the bulb if you want or put another one in. I kinda like the idiot light only because you know immediately if you spit a belt or something similar before you smoke the motor because the water pump quit turning.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
you can do away with the bulb if you want or put another one in. I kinda like the idiot light only because you know immediately if you spit a belt or something similar before you smoke the motor because the water pump quit turning.
Same reason why I'm looking for a dual (or three?) prong temp switch to run my fans and a temp sensor for the idiot light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor