custom speaker locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachkuby87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2011
Hey I have an 85 cutlass I'm looking to update the stereo soon. I plan on doing all kicker ks series speaker's 6x9's in the back porting the back dash 3.5's in the dash and I wanna do like 5.5's or 6.5's but I'm not sure where would be the best place to put them. Any ideas or suggestions? Im going to do 2 12's probably kicker comps with a decent 500.1 amp nothing serious just nice sounding stereo. Also what's out there for head units these days? I haven't had an aftermarket radio in some years now. I'm looking to spend 150-200 bucks I like Alpine and pioneer. Only requirements is the correct hook ups to run subs plug in an I pod and play cd's obviously with good sound quality.

zachkuby87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2011
I see were not big on car audio around these parts. .. Can anyone point in the direction of a good car audio forum?

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I have two 3.5"s in the dash, 2 6x9's in the rear deck, and a 6.5" component set in the doors. Here's how they came out.

I ended up making some pods to put the 6x9's in the rear passenger arm rests too.

But I hated them, so the 6x9s went back into the rear deck. Right now im making some to go into the rear passenger arm rest that will house a 5.25" and a tweeter. Then I can keep the 6x9s in the rear deck until I hash out my plans for 3 10's in the trunk that is ported through the rear deck. As for forums I like SMD forum. Lotta useful stuff about car audio there.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I also wanted something simple that sounded good without a separate amp, so I put a notch in the rear deck and put 6" x 9" Pioneer 3 way speakers back there but I moved the location over because of my roll bars are going through the original 4" x 10" speaker spots, the seat totally covers the notch so no one will know and the speakers are flush with the bottom of the deck without adapters.
Since I changed my interior and also the color from gray to camel I ended up making the upper door panels to match and decided to put Pioneer 6.5" component speakers there and moved my power window switch to the lower door panel.
And the tweeter for the component set up is in the location that came with the stock 3.5" speakers.
The head unit is just a decent Kenwood cd player.
I insulated my car very well and even though I have a very large exhaust system you can still hear the music clearly even when on low volume, I think having the speakers up high and the tweeters up on the dash give it an excellent balanced and clear sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 2,864
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 2,759
Reactions: 1 user

zachkuby87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2011
Those are some sweet ideas I literally was sitting in my car looking around trying to think of places to stuff speakers and came up blank. Question though how does it sound in those locations or even the stock locations? I joined a car audio forum and they're being really snobby about it lol. They say our cars have a horrible soundstage and that the kicker speakers I suggested are junk that 3.5's or 6x9's would be completely useless. Also they don't know of any quality head units for 200 bucks or less. I mean these guys are nuts. Wtf I just want a decent sounding stereo not a high tech perfectly engineered soundstage lol. :blam:

Are you guys running amps or are you right off the head unit?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
zachkuby87 said:
Those are some sweet ideas I literally was sitting in my car looking around trying to think of places to stuff speakers and came up blank. Question though how does it sound in those locations or even the stock locations? I joined a car audio forum and they're being really snobby about it lol. They say our cars have a horrible soundstage and that the kicker speakers I suggested are junk that 3.5's or 6x9's would be completely useless. Also they don't know of any quality head units for 200 bucks or less. I mean these guys are nuts. Wtf I just want a decent sounding stereo not a high tech perfectly engineered soundstage lol. :blam:

Are you guys running amps or are you right off the head unit?

My head units built in amp is all I have and mine sounds great and you can crank it up and it is still clear, I think having my component speakers up high and in separate locations especially with the tweeters up on the dash gives a balanced sound along with having 6 x 9 in the deck instead of 4 x 10.

shortydoowop138

Greasemonkey
Feb 15, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
I've done Q-Logic kick panels as well as concert sound.. The best system I've had horns under the dash, 6.5s in the upper doors, 6x9s in the rear window and 2 12s in an infinite baffle in the trunk.. As for Kicker, they're decent enough for a daily driver.. Won't win any sound off competitions BUT if you like it, I love it.. Do what makes YOU happy & if they have a problem with your system then make their assess walk..

1LOW95GMC

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
I put some 6.5inch speakers under my dash on both sides. I used some sheet metal to make some brackets to hold the speaker under the glove box. On the driver side I just cut a hole big enough for the speaker to fit under the dash in the trim panel. The best thing is you can not see the speakers and they sound great if any one wants a picture I can get one

zachkuby87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2011
Any recommendations for speakers or head unit? I've been looking at the brands I've had luck with in the past and can build a pretty similar set up with each brand for around 1100-1500 bucks that's including head unit interior speakers amp subs pretty much everything but the box and wiring. The brands I've been considering are kicker Alpine and soundstream. I understand kicker and Alpine aren't top notch but I've used both with success as in they sounded good and lasted through my thorough beatings. Soundstream I used to have reference amps and a pretty high end set up back in like 04 or something. I know they dropped off the planet for a while but I've been hearing good things as they're trying to bring their quality back to the old days standards. Plus soundstream is priced very nice. I'm considering giving them another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor