Cute, GMPartsdirect.com. Very cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
multiple brand identity crises (What even is Buick?)
That my friend is the Chinese flagship of GM. Why do you think they kept a division with no real product line & dumped the division that was trying to put the fun back into driving with somewhat sporty cars?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
That my friend is the Chinese flagship of GM. Why do you think they kept a division with no real product line & dumped the division that was trying to put the fun back into driving with somewhat sporty cars?
The Solstice GXP was some of the most fun you could have in a car under 30 grand. There is absolutely nothing GM currently offers you could convince me to spend my money on.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Another dis to the Oldsmobile crowd out there.

On their website I just found today...never looked for it before but just noticed it...Person who wrote it probably was born after Oldsmobile died.
O.jpg

Allow me to insert your reaction from the sound of it...

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The Solstice GXP was some of the most fun you could have in a car under 30 grand. There is absolutely nothing GM currently offers you could convince me to spend my money on.
I was always torn on whether I liked the solstice with its early Porsche styling, or, the Saturn sky redline with its angular look more.

Reactions: 2 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
I was always torn on whether I liked the solstice with its early Porsche styling, or, the Saturn sky redline with its angular look more.
I was partial to the Pontiac. I also loved the G8 GXP and GTO's. Shame we didn't get the GTO up here in Canaderp It was a real kick in the nuts with GM killing the Camaro.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012

Yeah I know the commies like them. That's a result of GM putting all their marketing eggs in one brand's basket in the 1990s as Buick essentially represents the entirety of GM in China and over half of Buick's Chinese sales come from vehicles not even offered in the US.

Plus a few other factors including the fact that the Chinese tend to have a very negative view of the Japanese which serious limits the ability of higher quality Japanese makes to infiltrate the Chinese market as well as Chinese domestic vehicles having all the build quality of a Yugo.

However it still doesn't explain their approach to the US market.

They abandoned their core buyers to become more youthful. Instead they wound up becoming an entirely badge-engineered brand with three models of upper price range, not particularly outstanding, quasi-crossover things with unrecognizable names that all sound the same (Encore, Enclave, Envison... same difference) and are predominantly made in Asia. They do not have a single brand exclusive model or platform. By the way, what is Avenir? Nevermind, I don't care. Nor does anyone else.

In the US Buick has lost about half of their market share since 2000 and accounts for less than 2% of the US market. The youthful crossover approach isn't working. Any market share it gives up would very likely be absorbed by Chevrolet or Cadillac. Just ax it.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

The Solstice & Sky both could of been game changers as from what I saw a up & coming track car like the Miata but better. Even the Opel version was also another one to look at.
Yeah I know the commies like them. That's a result of GM putting all their marketing eggs in one brand's basket in the 1990s as Buick essentially represents the entirety of GM in China and over half of Buick's Chinese sales come from vehicles not even offered in the US.

Plus a few other factors including the fact that the Chinese tend to have a very negative view of the Japanese which serious limits the ability of higher quality Japanese makes to infiltrate the Chinese market as well as Chinese domestic vehicles having all the build quality of a Yugo.

However it still doesn't explain their approach to the US market.

They abandoned their core buyers to become more youthful. Instead they wound up becoming an entirely badge-engineered brand with three models of upper price range, not particularly outstanding, quasi-crossover things with unrecognizable names that all sound the same (Encore, Enclave, Envison... same difference) and are predominantly made in Asia. They do not have a single brand exclusive model or platform. By the way, what is Avenir? Nevermind, I don't care. Nor does anyone else.

In the US Buick has lost about half of their market share since 2000 and accounts for less than 2% of the US market. The youthful crossover approach isn't working. Any market share it gives up would very likely be absorbed by Chevrolet or Cadillac. Just ax it.
Why care about the US market, China is the Asian cash cow for them & only need to have something to sell state side just to be able to still call Buick an American brand which at this time it really not one anymore. Ship it fully to GM's China operations & cut it out of the North American market. Last OK Buick was the Opel based Regal.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor