Cutlass running rough need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetC

Apprentice
Jul 31, 2016
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Do an ohm resistance test on each wire and check the insulation very carefully. That almost looks like the rotor made contact or a bad misfire inside the cap blew it out. All new ignition components is a a good place to start, very weird indeed.
How do I do an ohm resistance test? I have an ohm meter but don’t really know how to use it lol. So far I put a new cap, rotor and coil in it and it hasn’t changed anything

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are running header an infared temp gun will tell you if any cylinders are not firing

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't think its the wires (unless you made the wires) but if you start your car at night pop the hood somewhere there are no street lights if the wires are bad you may see them arcing on the engine or any other metal under the hood
Spraying a mist of water aids the visuals.

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
If you came off of highway and you have several cylinders acting goofy I would look for a stuck open EGR valve

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
How do I do an ohm resistance test? I have an ohm meter but don’t really know how to use it lol. So far I put a new cap, rotor and coil in it and it hasn’t changed anything
Put the ohm scale on the 2k or similar setting. With motor turned off, unhook one wire off the cap and spark plugs and and place a lead on each metal contact inside the wire. It should read anywhere from a few hundred ohms per foot of the plug wire to well into the thousands of ohms per foot, depending on the plug wire design. Any big variance compared to the other wires or infinite resistance means the wire is toast.

ChetC

Apprentice
Jul 31, 2016
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Put the ohm scale on the 2k or similar setting. With motor turned off, unhook one wire off the cap and spark plugs and and place a lead on each metal contact inside the wire. It should read anywhere from a few hundred ohms per foot of the plug wire to well into the thousands of ohms per foot, depending on the plug wire design. Any big variance compared to the other wires or infinite resistance means the wire is toast.
EE90F1A8-05C8-4475-BDAD-A2D6C84112C0.jpeg

So I’m assuming I did this correct? If so the wires are all good. Replaced ignition coil and module today still running the same! Where do I go from here? Timming?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, looks OK. Ground the A connector on the data link connector and make sure it is around the 20 degree base setting.

ChetC

Apprentice
Jul 31, 2016
Saint Clair Shores, MI
So after starting it and shutting it off through out the day it’s all the sudden running normal after starting it this last time. Took it for a ride shut it off started it back up and still running fine! No idea what changed.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Did you check the EGR valve?

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor