Cutlass won’t start **Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Like I said, that basically leaves the pick up coil. They usually fail completely but if the wires have bare spots, it could be grounding out. Use your ohm meter. Measure each wire to the module to ground and the resistance between both wires. Actually it melted around the center contact inside the cap without the ground strap and cooked the coil.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
How many pins(terminals) on the module? I am leaning toward pick up also

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Like I said, that basically leaves the pick up coil. They usually fail completely but if the wires have bare spots, it could be grounding out. Use your ohm meter. Measure each wire to the module to ground and the resistance between both wires. Actually it melted around the center contact inside the cap without the ground strap and cooked the coil.

Where would the pick up coil be? Because once I look for it on Autozone it states that is not applicable for my car.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
If you are sure you have 12 volts to the distributor I would check contacts at the module for good connections, If there is a Tach wire, disconnect that as it could be grounded. I just don't remember the diagnoses tree to differentiate the ECM output to the module to fire the coil. Pick up coil would probably be the easiest.

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Where would the pick up coil be? Because once I look for it on Autozone it states that is not applicable for my car.
F82F7257-0730-45EF-8771-1762DC7EB25C.jpeg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It is under the rotor and below where the advance mechanism would go, if it had one. Not easy to change, which is why a junkyard replacement or a reman may be the way to go.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The top piece where the rotor sits probably need to be removed. See those 2 screws/bolts on the silver piece below? That is the pickup coil, do an ohm test on it. Follow the leads from the module harness to it, test those wires.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
There is a knack for replacing the pick up for sure. I replaced hundreds of them back in the day. My concern is I would like to be sure it is the distributor. I guess you could get one and just hook everything up and spin by hand to see if you have spark. Cruise the web and see if there is a diagnoses tree to test. It will take you step by step.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor