Dart motor in a 85 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Re: SBC in a 85 442

Anubis said:
In all seriousness, If I had a nice 10K dart motor sitting around I'd probably be doing the same thing. Paint it gold and put rocket stickers all over it.
:rofl: :rofl:

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Scoop cutlass 81 442

Hello EveryGbody well im a Noob so juz had a queztion for my new project 81 cutlass calais im trying to find a cheap or use scoop and tail to make it that 442 look if you guyz know any website or anyGbody that got em let me know.....,thankz

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio

If the above post is not a joke, then I'm just speechless....

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Re: Scoop cutlass 81 442

Young0utlaw81Cutlass said:
Hello EveryGbody well im a Noob so juz had a queztion for my new project 81 cutlass calais im trying to find a cheap or use scoop and tail to make it that 442 look if you guyz know any website or anyGbody that got em let me know.....,thankz
Laureen engineering sells replica hood scoops & rear spoilers if that's what your after.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012

Since you have young in your name i assume you are younger than most of us here. This is your first post so no big deal. If you have a question don't spell like you are texting your high school friends because most of us won't know what you are saying. Also take the time to look around this site it is large so your question may belong better in another area, like in your case the wanted section. Used sell for about 350$ new about the same at Lauren. Good Luck.
Maybe a moderator can close out this post?

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007

these people bashing people for putting whatever into whatever is ridiculous. i have been building g bodies for almost 20 years, i have bought and sold/parted more g bodies than the number of cars that most people will own in a lifetime. i was buying these cars for as little as 75 bucks back in the day because that was all a scrap car was worth and brought many of them back from dead. g bodies use to be looked at as nothing special at all and i could have strapped a ford engine into one and no one would have thought anything about it, today all of a sudden people are getting bent out of shape about using chevy motors in a olds??!?!?! fader and i have been building g bodies together for more than a decade, both of our 442s were scrap yard bound when we got them and they did not have motors in either of them. both of us had happened to have chevy motors in other cars that we had built years before and now they are in our 442s, 2 442s that would otherwise be scraped for their rear ends and be gone forever. i dont get how people bash the chevy motors in a car like a 442 and then turn around and tear 2 of the most valuable features of the car out, rear end and transmission then throw in a ford 9" and a th400.... this baffles me! you dont want a chevy in there but you take away these features and turn a rare car into a track car! there are so many good reasons to build a chevy motor vs a olds that i cant even count, thats besides the point. like fader said, allot of us have avoided the site because of people that get on here and run there mouths all over on here about their opinions. it was said that this does not belong in the olds section and in the monte section?? wtf really? last i checked it was a olds! and olds came with buick and i beleive even chevy motors out of the factory so maybe you should go yell at gm for crossbreeding cars out of the factory. i was watching spike this morning and they were putting a awesome LSX 454 into a 60s hurst olds! better call them and tell them they are the devil... like i say to all of the purest people, if you dont like what i did to MY car than by all means, make me a offer i cant refuse and change it to the way that YOU want. keep in mind i am quite attached to my cars and they wont be cheap :) lets get back to what this site is here for, to help g body owners build their cars regardless of others opinions about them

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

Dr. Frankenstein thought he was creating a life from death, too.

Firstly, no chevy engine has ever been intentionally placed between the frame rails of a G-body 442 by GM. Ever.
(They did get a little retarded in the late 70s, but that's another story) So the "well they put X engines in..." whatever, dude. That's a weak-azz straw man argument that has nothing to do with a G-body 442. It's always been my belief that if an Olds engine came in it, an Olds engine should go back in if feasible.

You choose to put an Olds engine back in your Olds because you love Oldsmobiles, not because you want to necessarily go fast for cheap. There are always different ways to go that route and it has nothing to do with love for Oldsmobiles. It's a catch 22 to understand the religion. If you get it, you don't need an explanation. If you don't get it, you drop in a chevy engine and all the explaining makes no difference anyway, so I'm not even going to bother explaining it.

That said, I'm not against engine swaps. I admire the hot rod aspect of it. If you want a chevy engine in your G-body 442, then by all means, go for it. Sure, it's your car, but it's also my prerogative to shake my head and silently ask "but why?" when I see such an abomination. I can respect your choice without having to accept it.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Regalman,

Agree with you 99%; the 1% I don't is with the Musclecar '69 H/O tribute. Honestly, I would rather them put an Olds 455 in it. I mean, they built one a season or two ago. I am disappointed (as well as the LS they put in the '69 Trans Am tribute) but won't be sending hate-mail to them or give them crap if I see them with it on the roadway; there are PLENTY other people who will handle that. Plus, I don't watch them a whole lot anymore, if I catch them I catch them, if not, know I not missing much as they pretty much gloss over everything like the Speed shows, except for Stacey David.

Again, my feeling is an A-Body that someone is doing, yes, put the Olds back in the Olds, Pontiac in Pontiac, Buford & so on...but an A/G-Body, not so much, unless it's a turbo Buick... :mrgreen:

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC

69hurstolds said:
Dr. Frankenstein thought he was creating a life from death, too.

That said, I'm not against engine swaps. I admire the hot rod aspect of it. If you want a chevy engine in your G-body 442, then by all means, go for it. Sure, it's your car, but it's also my prerogative to shake my head and silently ask "but why?" when I see such an abomination. I can respect your choice without having to accept it.

That is exactly the problem with this site. Excuse me, not the site but a few of the people on here. Several of the good ole boys don't shake their head silently. Every day I see someone ask a legitimate question about how to do something and usually before any of the well intentioned people on here get a chance to answer the same two or three beat his @$$ royally for even wanting to do what ever he wants to do to HIS car. Don't forget that a lot of these cars are being saved from the crusher and put back together by young kids that are trying to learn how to do so and most of them do not have an endless bank roll. We should appreciate their efforts instead of driving them away. By the way I am putting a Chevrolet motor in a Pontiac that came with a Buick engine. :rofl:

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
86GP,
Nice paint job on the engine - thought it was Indian power until I looked closer at the valve covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor