Dash cover question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

88Classic

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2011
Lansing, IL
OK, so my dash is in decent shape, but its pretty brittle. I cracked it in small spots when I removed the speaker covers to replace the speakers. I purchased one of these molded ABS plastic dash covers in dark blue from this place:

http://raybuck.com/i-68211-1978-88-cutl ... cover.html

They called me today to ask if my Cutlass was a Supreme, and I told them yes it was. They then stated that this cover wouldn't fit. The manufacturer says that Supreme dashes are a tiny bit bigger and the cover won't fit on them, he's been thru this before, etcetcetc...

I think this is BS....every 78-88 Cutlass I've seen whether 2 or 4 door has the exact same dash. Am I correct in assuming this? I told them to go ahead and ship it anyways, as I am pretty damn sure it will fit.

All Cutlasses 78-88 regardless of trim i.e Calais, Salon, Supreme etc have the same size dashboard right?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Tell him he's frikin retarded and that your not gonna give him any buisness until he gets his facts straight since he's suposed to be an expert at this... :lol:
78-88, wagon, 4 door, 2 door etc are all the same.
Now people do get confused when you start throwin the word Calais around since 85-90 is FWD.

88Classic

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2011
Lansing, IL
Sweet, thanks. I figured they were the same. I noticed after they called and told me it wouldnt fit they updated the page...it now states *will not fit supreme!*

lol, when it comes and i install it ill send a pic of it to them..."told ya so!!"

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Will you please post pics once you've installed this? My car also has the blue interior, and is also cracked, but near the defrost vents. I have a carpet cover from a 442 on my car and don't like it much....better than cracks, but it's not real attractive. I saw these covers for sale on Ebay and in JC Whitney. If it works I want one for mine.

Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one!

-Mike

CleanGP042.jpg

88Classic

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2011
Lansing, IL
Well the cover came yesterday when I was at work. I'm off today for a wedding but I'm gonna test fit the cover and see how it goes. It sure looks like it'll fit just fine though. Pics later.

88Classic

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2011
Lansing, IL
Ok, on with the pics. The cover fits fine, with the exception of the driver side...it just needs to be trimmed a little bit to fit perfectly. The instructions even say that it may need to be trimmed as some older dashes may expand a bit.

Pics:
photo-35.jpg

photo-34.jpg

photo-33.jpg

photo-30.jpg

Here's where you can see it needs to be trimmed slightly:
photo-32.jpg

And a closeup:
photo-31.jpg

Color is close, but slightly darker. Maybe its because the dash is faded from the years of sun. It can be painted easily though.

Whatcha guys think?

85ss808

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2010
Kapolei, HI
Looks good, man! Makes me wonder why they even sell the replacement dash pads which are a lot of $$$$ and probably way more work. Anyone ever go that far?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Wow...nice! Just wish shipping/handling didnt turn a 72.00 part into 100.00? :roll: Must be packaged in a box made of titanium by a swiss watch maker coming from cuba.... :rofl:

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
Looks nice bro. I was thinking about doing the same but I took the cheap route for now and bought a carpet cover for my dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor