Dash wiper switch to colum wiper switch swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnyR

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2009
Harvey IL,60426
i just switch the dash on my 80 MC for a complete 87 SS dash and i am waiting on the steering colum to come in now i realized that the wipers are on the colum not the dash. i know i can still use my dash switch but i will have to use my old gauge panel on it but the 87 SS looks nicer and it matches the rest of the dash and interior. so my question is how do i swap from the wiper dash switch to the colum switch?

illregal

Apprentice
Nov 13, 2009
all i can tell ya is get wiring diagrams for both models,some wire,a pigtail for the bottom of the column,and alot of patience

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
donnyR said:
come on fellas nobody else got some ideas how to get this done

Illregal pretty much explained the easiest way. I am almost positive you are not able to just grab a wiper harness and swap it out. The only other thing you could do is get a completely different dash harness and headlight harness under the hood and swap them out. Of course you would probably have to remove the dash to get the harness out.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK. I just went down the basement and found my 81' harness. Lucky for you, the wiring looks the same. Black,pink,grey,purple, and green if you have it, is for the pulse wipers. Of course the connector is different but that's not hard to get. So when your column comes, there should be a small harness coming out alongside the main big one,they both snake down the column cover. It has a wide 5 pin connector. There will be black,pink,grey, purple, and green for pulse which the new one probably has. If your column comes with pulse wipers, and the car doesn't, be aware that you need to change to non pulse switch, or change the motor assembly to pulse to work correctly. They may work, I'm not sure, but you definitely can't have pulse without both components. Either find the correct connector and wire your old harness up to it, or change over to an aftermarket connector and you're done. I was too lazy to do that so I used the AC duct in the upper left hand corner my 86' SS dash to mount the old dash switch into. It looked OK but I'm easilly amused anyway.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've battled this problem in the past, and still haven't figured it out. I swapped my column for an '85-'86 Monte Carlo tilt.
I'm still using the dash mounted switch until one day it all fits into place.
I've even tried comparing wiring diagrams from different years from my Haynes manual
I would also like to replace my old dash with a GP dash that I have with no wiper switch.
I even tried using a newer type wiper motor and a harness section from a later G-body car with no success.
I've discussed this topic with several other guys and they're scratching their heads like I am.
So if anyone else has achieved this swap successfully , please inform us.

Jack :|

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wouldn't it be easier to just find a way to make the dash switch fit on the SS besel?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Phoenyx said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just find a way to make the dash switch fit on the SS besel?
========================================================================================================
I don't think that would be too difficult to do.. Although, I don't think anyone would want to hack up a good bezel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor