Dash wiper switch to colum wiper switch swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's why from now on I'll be grabbing every pulse motor I see. What gets me is the switch. Over $100 at RockAuto, I can only imagine what retail locally must be.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here is the answer to the original question. After much research here's what I found out. There are two different systems. 83' and below use a "negative switched" motor/switch. 84' and up use a "positive switched" motor/switch. Wether you have standard or delay wipers, you must use the correct style switch to operate them. Your 80' car is the old style, and your column is the new style. They will not work together. The easiest way to get this to work is to purchase the old style column mount switch that corresponds with your car, either delay or pulse, and swap it into the steering column. Standard is $40 at Rockauto, delay is $112,( $100 at Amazon.com). So if you have standard wipers, you would order an 83' non pulse column mounted wiper switch. Then you get an under dash female column connector and splice it to the wires that are now on your dash mounted switch connector color for color. Hook that to the male connector that comes out the bottom of the column from the correct switch you just bought. According to my 80' Chevy manual, only the dash switch was available, no column switch, but delay wipers were an option. My 80' Malibu dash harness was for standard wipers and the extra green wire is not there, unlike later years where the green wire was included in the harness no matter what. So if I wanted to convert to delay wipers I would need to run a green wire from the column connector to the motor, while useing the old style column switch. If you wanted to convert to delay wipers and use the switch that's allready in your column ( if it is a delay switch?) you would need to get a new style pulse motor and modily the wiring to match them up. It's doable but tedious.There it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor