Defiance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I always wanted to prepare for that. Anyone have a points distributor and coil for sale? LOL
I might bury some quality HEI modules in a copper box sealed in plastic....

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
As we know, it doesn't help when technology decisions are made by bean counters who don't understand the technologies.

Beyond that, since people with high IQs tend to grow up smarter than the people around them, their thinking might not get challenged enough, so ironically some brain circuits might not fully develop and they might wind up making the most ill-advised decisions.

Like the immune system, which needs to be challenged to develop properly. If the environment is totally microbe-free, that can't happen.

Don't count on a constitutional amendment, but at least the idea might start some people thinking and asking questions. If you limit the questions that are asked, answers don't stand a chance.

The comparison to Luddites is not valid. I want a copy of that book by the EX-programmer. I've been programming as a hobby for over 30 years, and know the line between logic that works and logic that doesn't.

Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Once a gear head - always a gear head. But believe me - it's fading !!

IMG_5670.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Also don't forget that a fair amount of brainwashing goes on too. I'm pretty sure the insurance industry is behind most of these "improvements" because the average driver is actually quite below average. Imagine the profits when the cars themselves can avoid collisions. Look at all the life-saving features in cars right now yet insurance rates are higher than ever. Why? Thus they tout all these "conveniences" to the gullible public who are so easily influenced that after being bombarded with advertising- will believe anything. I'm thinking the average lemming would love tapping his phone and a self operating public conveyance shows up at his door ready to take him wherever he wants. No brain input at all! Until it drives off a cliff or into a lake. That's why I still ride a bicycle- the greatest human powered vehicle ever invented.

• Winner
Nov 4, 2012
I have so much to say regarding this topic it's hard for me to condense it all into one post.

I'm not against new cars, but I dislike all of these collision mitigation and "safety" systems. When I am driving I want to be in control of the car, not some computer, or satellite or Google or whatever. Maybe I'm a control freak, I don't know. There are so many things that are now practically standard equipment that I simply don't want. I don't want a touchscreen in my car, I don't want navigation, I don't care if the car can park itself, I don't care if the car can stop itself, and I don't want 50 thousand airbags surrounding me.

I see it more and more at work everyday. Us "technicians" are more computer geeks than we are mechanics. It takes a lot of the fun out of it. Hell, half of our warranty work is just fixing infotainment systems. I honestly think automobiles have already peaked. From here its just taking more and more control away from the driver and putting into the hands of a computer until eventually the "driver" is just a passenger.

I'm starting to think the movie "Wall-E" is slowly becoming reality- A bunch of fat stupid people mindlessly floating around on recliners.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"Wall-E" is slowly becoming reality- A bunch of fat stupid people mindlessly floating around on recliners.
That scenario is so scary I wish studying "WALL-E" was mandatory in schools and especially government. "Silent Running" too.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I daily drive my 86 GP

Some people think I shouldn't, but I buy cars to drive and enjoy... not to house in a garage like a trophy.

I can also fix it without a $15,000 computer to Tell me whats wrong.. One free website does the trick :sneaky:

I have some sensors, but not Hundreds. I can replace a headlight without disassembling half of the front end.

Parts are WAY cheaper. Starter for a SBC? $30 for a cheapie. Starter for my wife's new car? $319. Wheel bearings? $10, 10 minutes... Hers? $79 and drop the entire front suspension.

Pro's and Con's abound, but Ill always take something from the 60's-70's-80's over this new sh*t.

Goes without saying, but the recognition is pretty cool as well. People see it and want to talk... I can't tell you how many times I've heard "man, I had a ~Insert G-Body here~ when I was in high school". It stands out. Cars nowadays? They don't stand out much. One of three things happen every time I drive that car: 1) I get offered money for it. 2) people stop and talk about it. or 3) someone walking stares at it as I drive by so much so, they're turned around staring at it. And I don't mind that at all.

-Gonz

• Agree

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I am of the opinion that having full control over everything you own, weather it is your house, your car, your washing machine, ect, is the way to true enlightenment. Everything we have is so technologically advanced these days understanding it is the mark of true wisdom. In the 1800's or before having full grasp on a topic like agriculture was highly critical because everyone DIRECTLY relied on being fed. Knowing how to grow another bushel of wheat, more nutritious beans or a larger pig meant you and your family could survive. Today, we still rely on food but there are so many other things we rely on that technology has provided like cars, electronics, appliances, ect.

I would argue an understanding of something technical like digital or analog control circuits, is more important today than an understanding of law, medicine, or economics (the core classical "I'm smart!" jobs). There isn't a day that goes by often you aren't exposed to an electronic glitch, whereas law or economics however important, and lucrative, don't apply to everyone. They started eliminating shop class to fill with more "smart" classes, but its REALLY hard to apply and understand calculus in engineering when you can't understand something simple like 3/4" plywood is sufficient to build a step stool from when you have never done anything tangible. Although shop classes could use some revamping, and I am glad STEM is a thing they teach hard now, schools push STEM way to hard these day focusing too much on the theory side of things and not engaging kids to build what they learn with.

I actually read the book in HS mentioned in that first article and pretty timely.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Back in the Stone Age when I was in HS I read a book called "Future Shock" by Alvin Toffler. It warned about the sheer overload of information. There were two scenarios. Try and absorb it all and go mad. Or pick and choose just enough to cope and retain your sanity. Retreating to a cave was not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor