Delay Wiper question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent1973

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2014
DFW
I've read all the threads about delay being very troublesome to add to a car that doesn't already have it. I have a 1980 Malibu with the switch on the dash that does not have delay. I purchased a delay/pulse/mist OEM switch that has the green wire that fits on the dash from a 1981. My question is this: If I replace the switch and run my green wire through the firewall and then replace the wiper motor and washer motor to a delay OEM or reman will the delay/mist/pulse work or am I just wasting my time? I searched the threads prior and just was able to decipher the turn signal wiper delay not being able to be added without a bunch of trouble.
I am going to have to replace my wiper motor anyway due to it not operating properly and the washer pump is not much more. I think a total of $15 more and I have the switch with the delay wire already so I thought it may be worth it to at least ask if it is possible to get delay/pulse/mist to function with the above.

Thanks for all the help.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I will have a similar problem - except I am putting in a column from an '81 that has the switch in the turn signal.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
It can be done and is not really that hard. I have converted every car I have to delay wipers, some in the dash , others with the stalk. You do have to add a wire, for me, I ran it through the C100 bulkhead connector (fuse box/firewall). The job is easier with the LH inner wheel well out.

There are a few blank holes in the connecter, and a bunch of goo, so it may not be the best route for everyone. Running a green wire (for the older dash delay) through a grommet may be easier.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/DelayPulseWipep-Washer.jpg

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/StandardWiperWasher.jpg

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I ended up running the extra wire(s) thru a grommet. I didn't realize I could've run it thru the fuse box connector. I ran a green wire for delay and a separate white wire for +12 volts.
Of course, I used the later style wiper motor with delay to be compatible with the newer type stalk mounted wiper switch.
You'd also need to cut the pigtails from a later junkyard G-body and splice it in.

This probably doesn't apply to you, you're looking to retain the early style motor with delay circuit board. The delay circuit board will be the hardest part to find. You can't even find them for the later wiper motor. They're NLA from GM, and no one repops them.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You have the dash delay switch (RARE!) so you are all set. Just get a delay motor assembly and run the green wire. Use the wiring diagrams Liquid8 posted a link too and you will see it is really pretty simple. The conversion from the negative switched system (yours) to the later positive switched system is what drives normaly sane people to drink.

bent1973

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2014
DFW
Ok, since the washer pump was toast I purchased an electric replacement versus the cam style hoping to ease things as far as difficulty. So I get my new delay motor and my new pump. I get the old one out to compare the two and The newer one has two wires coming out of the side of the motor housing. Everything else seems like it should hook up fairly easily. The green wire from the new switch I assume goes to the extra spade on the pump. I just don't wanna fry anything. Of course none of the new stuff has any wiring diagrams and the diagrams posted on the other forum aren't in Dummy mode. Pics below show what I'm up against. Trying to figure out where the two wires out of the side of the motor go. I guess my electrical aptitude isn't up to par. Has anyone else switched over to the electric style pump?
New motor pump and switch.JPG Old on left new on right.JPG wires from fuse block.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor