Southern New Jersey near Philly
78-79 is one style switch
80-81 is another
On a 78-79 you need
The delay specific wiper motor
The dash switch
The delay specific washer pump
The switch and relay that mounts to the washer pump
The separate harness that goes from the dash switch to the washer pump connection for the internal switch and relay.

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The wiring vaires for the '78-'81 dash switches for the delay. The easiest set up is the '81 with a single green wire that needs ran from the delay switch to the delay wiper motor. I have that set up for converting my '81 to delay with the wire added into my factory harness as the original set up had the green wire going thru a drilled hole in the firewall. '80 might be the same but I don't have my wire diagrams handy.
Thanks. I had a '79 years ago that had the dash switch & delay option so I knew there was a correct/specific switch req'd. I never looked @ a schematic or under the dash though to see what else might be required.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
What year car are you working on? The reason why I ask is there was a change in the wiper motor design. First design is the 78-83 large style motor. Second design is the 84-88 small style motor. Each design has a unique motor for use with the delay option.
There is a switch and relay assembly that is not included when you buy a new washer pump.
This is good info, I too would like to upgrade from regular to delay type wipers. Will watch this thread.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
At this point, I may find a newer style wiper motor with the delay stuff built in and adapt the motor to G-Body mounting points. A Cardone 411911 out of a 90's S-10 has potential if the mount points can be adapted.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
At this point, I may find a newer style wiper motor with the delay stuff built in and adapt the motor to G-Body mounting points. A Cardone 411911 out of a 90's S-10 has potential if the mount points can be adapted.
This was my thought so I was hoping to learn it had been accomplished. I know Detroit Speed used/uses newer motors/pumps (Caddy spec parts?) on their builds.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The problem with back-fitting the old style is the non-availability of the wiper switches. VERY hard to find and getting expensive. The motors are available and pretty cheap considering how old they are. Cardone rebuilds them too. . The new style may be getting scarce too. I haven't looked since I bought the very last switch RockAuto had for my Bonnewagon. It was a column mounted switch for a tilt column, delay wipers, negative switched system. It was over $100 and when I spied it at a closeout sale I nailed it at $45. Compare these wiring diagrams from MalibuRacing.https://maliburacing.com/a-g-body-wiring-diagrams/#prettyPhoto
DelayPulseWipep-Washer-731x1024.jpg
StandardWiperWasher-724x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
In my case, since I already have the positive switched setup, I figure the next version newer motor will be compatible with the 85 switch and wiring. The newer motor was already being used in the Fiero and a few other smaller vehicles in 85, and continued well into the 90's. It is also readily available with the delay board, and the delay board is also available separately. The mounting points are different, but luckily g-body wiper motors are hung from a bracket instead of mounted to the cowl directly, which SHOULD mean if the motor rotates the same direction and if the center of the motor shaft is in the same place then the bracket and the arm can be modified to fit relatively easily.

I will hopefully get to go to the u-pull yard in the next week or two to get one to tinker with.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Why not just use the 84-88 G body wiper motor rather than trying to jury rig something else on there? It is way more common at this point and there were a lot more made with delay than the 78-83 set up. Used ones are very easy to find or you can buy a reman from Rock Auto.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Why not just use the 84-88 G body wiper motor rather than trying to jury rig something else on there? It is way more common at this point and there were a lot more made with delay than the 78-83 set up. Used ones are very easy to find or you can buy a reman from Rock Auto.
You can get the motors easy enough, but the delay wiper cover is essentially unobtanium. While you can still find used ones online, the supply is getting smaller. I intend on keeping my car for as long as I can and I don't want to have to rely on an ever-shrinking supply of parts, so if I can fit newer parts that can still be bought at any parts store, I will be essentially future-proofing my car.

Also, if I post what newer part I used and how it was installed, then all the G-Body owners get that same benefit as well.

Reactions: 5 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
After doing a little research, here is what I have learned:

1. This unobtainable wiper cover thing was still used well past the end of the G-Body era. When finding a motor that had a separate, replaceable delay board that can be purchased new, I had to go clear into the 2000's.
2. Electrically, most of the motors are compatible with the positive ground setup in the 84+ G-Bodys. The color coding for the wires are not standardized, but all the functions are there.
3. The diagrams from MalibuRacing are for the old style setup, not the 84+.
4. Wiper motors after the G-Body era went to a tapered shaft that is not directly compatible with the straight splined shaft the G-Body runs.

The best candidates that I will likely scavenge from the U-Pull are the Cardone 851029 that was in 2000-2005 Bonnevilles, and the Cardone 851030 that was in all 2nd gen S-10's and Blazers.

The S-10 motor is pretty easy and cheap to find, and I believe the wiper arm will work with a G-Body without mods. Their OEM delay boards do seem to have failure issues, but the replacements seem to last.

The Bonneville motor does not use the rubber grommets in forked arms, instead having threaded holes in the motor body to mount with. This would be easier to mount on the mount plate, as the holes can be drilled directly and grommets added later. The Bonneville arm will likely need replaced with an S-10 arm to interface the wipers correctly.

There are a few other good options out there, but these were ones that had particularly good wiring diagrams to work with.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor