DerKrautenWagon the BMW project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Ooomph. The thought of having to work on a BMW is....(*shudder*)
just found out the guys at my corner oil change place that also do other work will NOT work on ANY European car. said it wasn't worth dealing with it :itchy:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Multiple updates to post here. Been a busy week on the Bavaria bomber

First up. Suspension.
New shocks and struts on all 4 corners. 3 of the originals were completely gone, like no oil left at all. I didn't do the upper strut mounts or shock mounts, and the replacements were el cheapo Monroe OEM line stuff. It's going to get good coil overs eventually so there wasn't much appetite to spend extra.

20220131_160453.jpg 20220131_160458.jpg 20220131_162917.jpg 20220131_202956.jpg 20220131_203001.jpg 20220131_203007.jpg 20220131_203216.jpg

This was stage one of the busy week.

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
I did one of the Xenon ballasts and some fresh lights.

To get at the ballast the bumper cover and headlight housing has to come completely out. It's actually less work than it looks like. But it was a HUGE pain in the butt.

Anyway. Just need new angel eye bulbs now and she will be styling.
20220131_180937.jpg 20220131_173945.jpg

Been driving it will all the new bling installed and this thing is a TON of fun in the snow. The stability control with the snow tires I got off Crackbook marketplace is fabulous. Now that it has struts the front end doesn't slap the ground on bumps, and it handles very nicely. Very solid feeling car.

I also got my diagnostic and coding connector so I checked all the codes to find a #1 misfire.

Pulled the plugs and found out #1 has a new coil. Seems that's normal when you change plugs on these things. Just put coils in too.
20220205_130524.jpg 20220205_130558.jpg

Did a cutout test and found #1 has no change when you cut the injector. Odd. So I pulled them and ran them through the cleaning cycle.

20220205_130601.jpg 20220205_133229.jpg

Other than the plugs nothing is out of sorts and the injectors all matched. So thats a win.

I did discover that the long pintle injectors don't like being reverse flushed with my "China made adapters so I soaked myself in varsol. Good times.

Pricing new plugs and coils might just do plugs first and see how that goes. Gaps were worn on the double platinum plugs so it's probably due.

I also got a chance to let her sit outside and attempt a cold start in -30c. (-22f). It passed the test so that was a win. It warms up right away with the PMW controlled water pump and is comfy with the heated seats.

I'm starting to like this, oil slick making Fraulein bomber.

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Given your connection with this thing, I'm beginning to question your driving habits.

View attachment 191732
I am super impressed with the chassis. When you lift it with a jack you can entirely lift from 2 points, its that stiff. Once I started messing with the coding I set the signals to blink 7 times with one tap, perfect!

What you can do with the coding is unreal, all the way down to how much voltage I send individual lights on the exterior. I found a way to add adaptive cruise control to it after I put the LS in, not to mention being able to bolt on brakes from F30 or F80 cars, which will take me to 14" 6 piston fronts and 14" rears, and the ABS system self regulates F/R bias. Its like car lego with top of the line factory support!

Reactions: 1 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Here's our old kraut wagen. 2003 325iT (wagon). It was great to drive, when it was running that is. Seems like every few months something was breaking- LCA bushings, water pump, radiator, window regulators, wheels cracking(3 total- not from pot holes), starter, P/S pump/rack, oil leaks, etc. Sold it about a year ago with a no start issue we couldn't figure out. The guy that bought it is a former tech/service manager for Foreign Performance, a local shop, and racer, now has his own dealership. He is swapping in an E46 M3/6 speed manual drivetrain into it. That's my son when we did a couple of days on HRPT.
IMG_1322.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I view owning and working on BMW's an acquired taste. I can work on a G-body all day long, and feel accomplished and generally pleased with whatever progress made, and if not finished, planning out the next day's work. I helped a buddy of mine work on his BMW brakes some years back (he always had issues with the brakes it seemed) and it just felt as if I was working on a turbine generator back when I was in the Navy. It was just a non-enjoyable job that needed doing- open tech manual, study for a bit, then go remove/check, repair/replace, install/adjust, and basically hold your nose until the last bolt goes back in. And afterwards you were just glad you finished it without much satisfaction.

I guess it's more like working on a G-body makes me feel like it's more of saving a life, while working on a (insert non-G-body make here) makes you feel glad just to get it out of the garage again.

But hey, it was cheap, you got it rolling again, and if it gets you through winter, it's a win. Somebody had to do it.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
We like wagons at our house. The mid 2000's BMW wagons are some of my favorite wagons. I've had a couple wagons and am contemplating a 5 series mid/late 2000's BMW wagon. We'll find one we like and that can fit the budget.

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
We like wagons at our house. The mid 2000's BMW wagons are some of my favorite wagons. I've had a couple wagons and am contemplating a 5 series mid/late 2000's BMW wagon. We'll find one we like and that can fit the budget.
Ive been looking for a Clean MK4 VR6 Jetta Wagon or B5-B5.5 4Motion VR6 Passat. Always loved me a German wagon. Jon Olsson's RS6 Avant is one of my all time favorite cars. Never got into the Bimmer stuff. Was always a big fan of the VAG.

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Ive been looking for a Clean MK4 VR6 Jetta Wagon or B5-B5.5 4Motion VR6 Passat. Always loved me a German wagon. Jon Olsson's RS6 Avant is one of my all time favorite cars. Never got into the Bimmer stuff. Was always a big fan of the VAG.
VR6 would be fun, I think the engineering is pretty interesting in that motor.

I have never been a BMW guy but this thing is growing on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor