Developed a nasty rattle at the end of my cruise tonight, help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Went on a 20 minute cruise tonight. Ran her a little hard but nothing crazy. Got in the driveway and heard this.

Car has a 350 motor, 200r4 trans. The sound is coming from the mid section around the transmission. Does it in drive and in park. I checked for anything obviously loose or hanging and didn't see anything. Car is piping hot so I couldn't poke around too much, Thoughts appreciated.

(I placed this thread in exhaust because I wasn't sure where to place it. Mods feel free to move)

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Sounds like it might be the flex plate.

Check the bellhousing bolts.
Check the torque converter to flex plate bolts.

If you don't find it there might be flex plate to crankshaft bolts.

Edited to add you might have cracked the flex plate inspect the flex plate when checking the torque on the torque converter to flex plate bolts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sounds like it might be the flex plate.

Check the bellhousing bolts.
Check the torque converter to flex plate bolts.

If you don't find it there might be flex plate to crankshaft bolts.

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Going to get her up on jack stands tomorrow and start poking around.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think ELCAM is on it. Here's a video from YT of a busted flexplate...

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If you cracked the flex plate and all the bolts were proper it is likely torque converter ballooning that did it. You have more engine than your torque converter can take,

Ballooning is the oil inside the converter under enough pressure to expand the converter in diameter and length.

Problems with ballooning:
1. The converter and transmission pump will fail prematurely.
2. Flex plates will crack.
3. Crankshaft thrust bearing will wear out prematurely.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If you cracked the flex plate and all the bolts were proper it is likely torque converter ballooning that did it. You have more engine than your torque converter can take,

Ballooning is the oil inside the converter under enough pressure to expand the converter in diameter and length.

Problems with ballooning:
1. The converter and transmission pump will fail prematurely.
2. Flex plates will crack.
3. Crankshaft thrust bearing will wear out prematurely.

Holy $***

Really hoping not. transmission was built by Competition Transmission in North Tonawnda NY. They used to building serious race level stuff and the owner himself built mine because of the complexity of the 200r4. He chose the torque converter based on my motor and cam specs which is a 330 horse GM crate motor. Nothing too wild.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Loose bellhousing bolts will crack the flex plate too. Hope for that it still sux to fix but is a lot cheaper. :blam:

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
A manual transmission will also fix flexplate issues. Just saying. 😉

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor