Diagnosing stalling at startup/engine bogging

AjBranson99

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2024
So as the title suggests, I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with my Monte. It's the 1985 Monte Carlo with the 4.3l v6 tbi. The issues I'm running into are always at startup after the car has been sitting for a few hours or more. Whenever I start it after its been sitting, the engine will either idle really low stall or attempt to stall if I don't give it some gas, or will idle pretty high. (most of the time it idles low, I'd say that it idles high maybe 1/5th of the time) The other problem I have is within the first 5-10 minutes of driving, the engine will bog when I try to give it power while getting onto the highway. I don't floor it or anything, I try to be pretty gentile with this thing. I should add that the car was the lowest trim model you could get at the time, so the tach gauge doesn't have a needle or anything for me to actually read the rpms to see how low/high they get, but I would guess that when it idles high it is somewhere between 1000/1500 rpm. So far I have only replaced the fuel filter, and while that did help with the engine feeling more responsive after its been driven a bit, the problems I mentioned are still popping up. I am unsure of what I should look at next to solve these issues, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor