fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Why not? Olds engines (aside from the diesels) are pretty damn good all things considered. Plus the olds 350 is a direct swap.
I'd rather have a BBC, SBC or LS. Maybe even a Pontiac 400. I don't care for some of the architecture of the Olds engine like having the starter on the driver's side, the aluminum rocker pedestals or 'bridges' and the stamped steel intake gasket or 'valley pan'. I've had some bad experiences with the valley pan and the rocker pedestals.

An Olds. engine is cool. It's just not for me.

Reactions: 1 user

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
I simply love my 81 grand prix diesel 5.7L. She only has 85K original miles. But the restore project was something I never want to do again. These diesel are very rare as most engines blew around 80K miles. GM re did the engines early on with what was called the 350DX block. Much better. Like another poster said these blocks are great for gas conversion building lots of horse power. I really hope someone saves her and restores her as the original diesel she is and keeps her. I can never get rid of mine as when I purchased it, belonged to the owners mother and father deceased. I promised him I would never get rid of it. And that I will Honor.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd rather have a BBC, SBC or LS. Maybe even a Pontiac 400. I don't care for some of the architecture of the Olds engine like having the starter on the driver's side, the aluminum rocker pedestals or 'bridges' and the stamped steel intake gasket or 'valley pan'. I've had some bad experiences with the valley pan and the rocker pedestals.

An Olds. engine is cool. It's just not for me.
Pontiac would be cool. I like the top end swapability from the 326 to the 455. But in the end, whoever ends up with it it's their decision.

86pontiac2+2

Greasemonkey
Jul 14, 2016
you guys are missing the big pic... #1, it's a Grand Prix, #2 hello, it's a DIESEL block!

only thing that really scares me away is: how bad is the roof under that dried out vynil? I'm already dealing with the aftermath of one....

Another point being missed...
NO EMISSIONS

86pontiac2+2

Greasemonkey
Jul 14, 2016
you guys are missing the big pic... #1, it's a Grand Prix, #2 hello, it's a DIESEL block!

only thing that really scares me away is: how bad is the roof under that dried out vynil? I'm already dealing with the aftermath of one....

NO EMISSIONS

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
NO EMISSIONS
welp if I wasn't working on my grand prix I would have a transport service on its way to Texas right now. yeah its none running but who usually keeps what is under the hood in the first place? lol

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The more I see this post, the more I wish I had the funds. I have access to a Pontiac 350 that would be at home under that hood.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor