Differences in steel Cowl Hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Need a replacement hood for a '78 Malibu & looking @ Cowl Induction hoods. In my searching, I'm seeing some cowl hoods that have a better visual 'curve' @ the front/start of the rise to the cowl vs. others that seem to be more straight/flat. The straight version just does not appeal to me & seems cheap (lacks the true cowl hood shape detail).

When looking online, most of the advertisements have a generic image. Is each shape possibly specific to a certain manufacturer?
Any help/info would be appreciated.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I believe the Goodmark is the "wedge".

AMD has a nice shape, last time I looked.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
1611107966433.png

" Goodmark" the closest to a real GM cowl hood (IMO) Fit is pretty good not perfect but good enough.

Reactions: 4 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
There was talk that Goodmark and AMD hoods are the same, which I'd suspect. Same tooling in China, one has the Goodmark stamp the other doesn't. This is for Monte's but probably the same for any that have the identical cowl hoods made between a couple brand names that happen to be made in the same place. There could be small variations between the same brand especially over time just as much as between the brand name itself.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thanks for the images. Did you cut down a standard under-hood mat or was that available w/your hood purchase? Looks clean & like it's matched/belongs there.

This was the issue: Goodmark. AMD. Restoparts. Sherman. Auto Body Specialties. ETC.... Not all of these are the manufacturers & just distribute product. Trying to determine which hoods are actually from the same manufacturer & how many possible different one's (designs) there are (2? 3?), Some of the advertisements just plain suck for the images & don't publish the actual manufacturer so it's difficult to determine. Obviously it would be nice to walk into a store & see actual differences as that helps the visual decision making.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Thanks for the images. Did you cut down a standard under-hood mat or was that available w/your hood purchase? Looks clean & like it's matched/belongs there.

This was the issue: Goodmark. AMD. Restoparts. Sherman. Auto Body Specialties. ETC.... Not all of these are the manufacturers & just distribute product. Trying to determine which hoods are actually from the same manufacturer & how many possible different one's (designs) there are (2? 3?), Some of the advertisements just plain suck for the images & don't publish the actual manufacturer so it's difficult to determine. Obviously it would be nice to walk into a store & see actual differences as that helps the visual decision making.
It's store bought. It's really a thin plywood covered with material (looks like the trunk mat stuff). Has all the holes so that you have to drill the hood and use OEM mat clips to hold it in place. I use the air hose to clean it of road dust. I don't remember where I got it.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
It's store bought. It's really a thin plywood covered with material (looks like the trunk mat stuff). Has all the holes so that you have to drill the hood and use OEM mat clips to hold it in place. I use the air hose to clean it of road dust. I don't remember where I got it.
Thin plywood huh? Well, great execution then from the image as it looks like it was part of a kit just for the hood.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
There was talk that Goodmark and AMD hoods are the same, which I'd suspect. Same tooling in China, one has the Goodmark stamp the other doesn't. This is for Monte's but probably the same for any that have the identical cowl hoods made between a couple brand names that happen to be made in the same place. There could be small variations between the same brand especially over time just as much as between the brand name itself.

When my wagon was in the body shop I went shopping for a cowl hood. My first choice was Goodmark but they were out of stock. I called Goodmark directly and I was told there was a problem with the dies at the plant where they were made and they had no idea of when they were going to restart production. Then the guy told me to call other vendors. He said all the metal cowl hoods were made at the same plant and just reboxed for different sellers. I got mine through a local place that sold AMD.
I wouldnt go through a place like Summit or any online vendors. If its damaged in shipping you have to deal with it. Buying it local, if its damaged they have to get a new hood and they deal with the BS.
The only thing I didnt think about was the slope of the wagons windshield. I have to come up with something that prevents the hood from going all the way up because its going to hit the glass.

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor