Differential cover gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Echo the advice on jack rash on steel covers. Clean with a wire wheel and make flat, try to even out the edge if damaged. Agree with putting sealant all the way around the bolt holes - inner keeps oil in, outer keeps water out, from the sealing surface.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I just use silicone myself, but the wife's Envoy with an 8.5" rear end came with a reusable gasket like the transmission. I keep forgetting to look one up for an I6 rig with the 7.5" diff to use on my Camaro, and maybe even the SS with its 9.5" diff for its seal with my 1500.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
On my 7.5" with the aluminum girdle cover, I just used RTV Black and let it dry. Then when I went back in the 7.5" running slicks, which I knew I would, made it easy, no RTV set up time. That Lube Locker cover is similar to gaskets Dodge used factory on my Dakota's transmission pan and rear diff cover, very good. I just ordered the Mr Gasket version for my TH2004R.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Oil type depends on what you have in there. If you have a clutch style posi, then 80w90 gear oil and additive for the clutches. If open or gov lock, then either synthetic 75w90 or 80w90 gear oil either will work.

It 's more important to not mix gear oil with synthetic and vice versa rather than be concerned about which to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor