Dipstick broke off

Status
Not open for further replies.
SBC blocks with block-mounted dipsticks used a tube from the pan rail partway down towards the bottom of the pan to prevent dipstick/roatating assembly interference.

Well I didn’t know that shouldn’t the engine builder of put that in already. Does that make sense

Two things you can do......
Get a large magnet and stick it to the bottom of the pan. Drain the oil, and see if you can see the piece in the bottom of the pan.
If it's not all mangled and sticking up into the crank, you may be able to fish it out thru the drain plug hole. Probably need a bore scope to see in there.
Second option involves alot more labor, and you already know what that one is.........
First one will only cost you 5 qts of oil.

Two things you can do......
Get a large magnet and stick it to the bottom of the pan. Drain the oil, and see if you can see the piece in the bottom of the pan.
If it's not all mangled and sticking up into the crank, you may be able to fish it out thru the drain plug hole. Probably need a bore scope to see in there.
Second option involves alot more labor, and you already know what that one is.........
First one will only cost you 5 qts of oil.
Yep. Thanx

Driver side dipstick takes a support tube through the block passenger side dipstick is part of the tube 1970 block 350 versus 1987 block 350
2FC549C7-0553-4C9D-B8FA-4BC62318B8D4.jpeg
A973A715-36B5-442B-8AFB-0A73D0E76D42.jpeg
80859D64-8715-4FDA-8FCC-4B0852E89993.jpeg
EE8A6B9F-C001-4B88-B51B-5F4A5312E32B.jpeg
73975541-3086-4C8A-A61A-359C67683F65.jpeg

Driver side dipstick takes a support tube through the block passenger side dipstick is part of the tube 1970 block 350 versus 1987 block 350

Thanks for the update. I guess I have never had a pass side dipstick that didn't go into the pan....or it's been too many years ago 🙁

For the OP: Unless you have a block-mounted pass side stick, that pan's going to have to come off to fix the issue

This is the Pontiac version. It turns the dipstick towards the rear and away from the crankshaft. It bolts to one of the windage tray bosses on a main cap.
1587344129052.png

Reactions: 1320John$$$
Thanks for the update. I guess I have never had a pass side dipstick that didn't go into the pan....or it's been too many years ago 🙁

For the OP: Unless you have a block-mounted pass side stick, that pan's going to have to come off to fix the issue
If you have a driver side dipstick and the support tube was never installed you will not need to remove the oil pan to install one if it’s bent you won’t be able to pull it through the casting and you have to remove the pan to install a new one the support tube is installed from the Cylinder head surface side of the block

Now I feel like an idiot. But i'd bet it's been at least 35 years since I had one with a stick in the block that far apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor