dipstick problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharoh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2008
Chicago
could on firing the engine some oil spill out of the dipstick cause its not really in there good im noticing i just know i see no leaks when its one but i know i started it up twice last night and there was a small oil stain there any other options y are welcome but could this be the case.
engine 305 ho stock
monte carlo 88

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
is this a new engine? is the oil level correct?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if the dipstick isn't sealed, oil can be pushed up and out but it's not too common on start-up. it's usually from crankcase pressures or excessive oil. i'd double check the valve cover gasket. if the stain was on the floor then check the rear of the intake manifold for a leak going down the back of the motor and the filter if it's on that side.

Pharoh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2008
Chicago
i am assuming this is a serious issue that need to be resolved soon right? fitst older car know oil leak is bad in general but is it really bad not burnin oil i know that would have smelled it.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
how serious it is depends on how much oil you're losing. first determine exactly where it's coming from. since you think it's the dipstick, try this---put some RTV in the cup of the dipstick and put back in the dipstick tube. let it sit for about half an hour then drive it. make sure your oil level is correct before hand! clean off the engine with a good grease cleaner. you may want to get a UV dye for the oil, even without a UV lamp it makes it much easier to see. then start up the car and look for the leak. try not to drive it if you don't have to so that it doesn't blow all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor