dirt track setup help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerx09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2012
First off I'd like to say I'm new to the forum and know a few things but not a whole lot. I'm having a hell of a time setting up my dirt track car. I've had it on scales and the left percentage is 54 rear percentage is 44 and 50 pounds of left rear bite.
Here is a link to the current rules which may change slightly by next season.
http://hibbingraceway.com/2012-pure-stock/
I need help setting up and understandingmy suspension as well as why the changes help. I want to make my car easier to drive and run out front next year. Any comments or help is much apprectaited.

The car has a locked rear
Stock rear springs
Moog 5662 front springs
Turbo 350 trans(run 1st gear only)
2.73 rear gears
Tires are Cooper cobra 215-70-15 on rear 225 rf 205 lf
Big sway bar on front no rear sway bar
The track is a 3/8 mile banked clay oval and if you Google map the track the front strait is more rounded than strait.
There are up to 3 runable groves most nights. Any help making my car handle better would make me a happy man!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
What cross weight, camber, caster, toe do you currently have?

racerx09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2012
I have 1/4 toe out is the only one I can answer honestly. I never wrote down the cross and caster camber I have all the shims removed on the drivers side. still too much negetive ( top towards engine hope I'm not backwards) I think my spindle is bent. pass side I have it shimmed out as far as I can in back and 3/16 in front. I don't have a caster camber gauge at the moment ( grew legs n walked away :-/)

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
racerx09 said:
I have 1/4 toe out is the only one I can answer honestly. I never wrote down the cross and caster camber I have all the shims removed on the drivers side. still too much negetive ( top towards engine hope I'm not backwards) I think my spindle is bent. pass side I have it shimmed out as far as I can in back and 3/16 in front. I don't have a caster camber gauge at the moment ( grew legs n walked away :-/)

What's the total weight?

Can you ditch the auto and put a manual in it?

Can you change gears?

Which shocks are on it?

What's it doing /not doing now that you like/don't like?

ramey

Check the oversteer help link in this forum. We got a pavement guy running up front. Dirt is next. :D

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
at type of upper control arms and tie rods do you have? I have never set a car up on my own but I did have the opportunity to help my former instructor Mike Striecher set some of his cars up. Hes a former USAC champion and he owns Hawk Cars. The man is a genius.

racerx09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2012
Cannot run manual or powerglide trans.. has to be stock Chevy 10 bolt any gears that fit. All stock stamped a arms. The setup I'm running puts my mandated 305 at between 6000-6200 rpm at the end of the track. It pushes pretty bad on entry and is loose out. Locked rear diff by the way. Car with me in it fullcage weighs around 3200 pounds. And to my knowledge I cannot use racing springs

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
since you have to run a sway bar get the smallest bar you can find. None of the dirt guys I know run a sway bar in a division like yours

racerx09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2012
In my origional post is a link to the 2012 rules for my track. They may change slightly but I don't think any suspension or drivetrain will change.

racerx09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2012
pontiacgp said:
since you have to run a sway bar get the smallest bar you can find. None of the dirt guys I know run a sway bar in a division like yours
With having to run a sway bar I have a fairly large one on the car now and it seems to have improved what I have I do.still have the smaller bar I can try again with a new setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor