Distributor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
Just got my 383 stroker running in my 80 Malibu and trying to work out some kinks. The biggest issue is with the distributor. Motor has a Lunati 60103 cam with a Summit Racing HEI distributor. Set the timing and noticed that every time we try and start the motor it pushes up on the distributor which throws it out of time (with the clamp loose). The problem is, once we tighten the clamp and drive the car for a little while the clamp comes loose and obviously throws the motor out of time. The distributor doesnt seem to come up once the motor is running, only when it is started. I thought maybe the vibrations may be loosening the clamp bolt, but I would think other things would be loose as well. Dont really know too much about this. This is my first project so I am kind of learning as I go. Any help is appreciated .

Pbngem

Greasemonkey
Oct 17, 2010
Does the distributor seat down completely on the intake manifold before you tighten the clamp?

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
Yes

I need to correct something from the original post. I am basing everything off of what my dad had told me. He was the one holding on to the distributor as I cranked it over. He is now saying that the distributor does not push up, the entire distributor wants to turn while he is holding on to.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
then the distributor is the problem.....does the shaft turn freely in the distributor? ..Dumb question but do you have the proper rotor installed?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree. Does the shaft spin easily out of the motor? Might be the wrong gear on the end loading the shaft, bent shaft, bad bearing, or just gummed up/dirty.

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
Yep, everything seems to be fine with the shaft. Comes in and out smoothly. Could the shaft be too long which would not allow the distributor to seat completely in the cam gear?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you thrown the question to Summit?...maybe bonne is right with the gear not being right. Did the cam make any reference to the distributor gear you'd need?

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, they told me that the distributor (housing and all) will want to turn when cranking over the motor. Not that I can remember, looked at the cam spec sheet that come with the cam doesnt mention anything about the gear. Lunati could probably help me out with that one. I know they see distributor gears, just dont know if one is specific to my cam. I will give them a call. I will post what I find out from Lunati.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor