DIY Window tinting

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
Found this as well, still rainy & cold here in Ohio. I'll be getting started as soon as the temp permits.

Moved:
Ok, here is a link I found that shows most of the laws for the United States. http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

And here is the rules for Ohio witch I will copy & Paist into this post.
Ohio Tint Law Enacted: 2004
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OHIO?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Ohio, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN OHIO?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER OHIO RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors No restrictions.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

To the site moderators, It wouldn't be a bad idea for someone to either make this post or another post about tint laws sticky in the modifications section of the site so as to inform others on the current laws of tint and to help others from getting their tint scratched up by local law inforcment due to not being "Legal"

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
just some tips, dont use paper towel or rags, squeegee the windows clean. you can also use baby shampoo instead of the stuff in the kit. it is easy as hell to take these windows out, door and the little side windows, makes the job 10000x easier. also when cutting around the egde, i use one finger as a "guide" to make sure the line doesn't get wavy on me.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
My contribution to the DIY'S in Wisconsin:

Wisconsin Window Tint Law
Wisconsin Tint Law Enacted: 1996
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN WISCONSIN?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Wisconsin, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN WISCONSIN?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
Front Side Windows No reference to reflectivity in the current law.
Back Side Windows No reference to reflectivity in the current law.

OTHER WISCONSIN RULES AND REGULATIONS
Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

Good luck everyone. :D

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Topic Moved

Anyone got any tips for removing old tint? The stuff on my windows is still there from the 80's (really)... looking a bit scuffed up, has a few small bubbles, and could be darker.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
I know what you mean I have been trying to find a way to remove the tint from my wagon that was put on it when it was new and is now purple and hazey

Bowtiefan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2009
Mt. Vernon, IL
GP403 said:
Topic Moved

Anyone got any tips for removing old tint? The stuff on my windows is still there from the 80's (really)... looking a bit scuffed up, has a few small bubbles, and could be darker.

It really isn't that bad. You will most likely have to use a razor blade to peel up a spot and just take off pulling it off. The quality of the film will dictate how well it may come off the window also. If it's quality stuff it might come off in one or two pieces. If it's the cheap crap be prepared to use the razor blade a lot. I mostly use a good ol' cheap *ss single edge razor blade for these jobs. Don't use a scraper and just plow through the old stuff either. You're just making more headaches for yourself. You're better off to pull as much film off as you can and then deal with the adhesive separately.

I have always had good luck using regular Windex and a razor blade to remove the adhesive left behind on the window. Soak the whole window with the Windex, let it sit for a minute or two to soften the adhesive and take off scraping the leftover snot off of the window.

Good luck!!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
after helping a friend remove the tint from his 80's Camaro hatch ( contorted and on my back for a number of hours ), goo-gone is your best freind for getting off the residue from the old tint.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
that video makes it seem pretty doable diy, and i agree after watching that video that the crap bubble job you see everywhere are most likey from NOT seperating the 2 layers.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor