BUILD THREAD Do I get a membership card now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Only hold up to 250hp? wat? That motor had 13psi and at least 280 flywheel hp stock. There are people running around doing 12s without so much as taken the valve covers off.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Only hold up to 250hp? wat? That motor had 13psi and at least 280 flywheel hp stock. There are people running around doing 12s without so much as taken the valve covers off.

I am speaking of factory non turbo 110 hp NA 3.8 with the cast (not turbo 2 dot rods and good eutectic pistons)

The GN stuff can hold 600 with a reliable tune. The stock NA pistons longblock from what I understand have thin ring landings and they have poor heat transfer and thin wrist pin reinforcement.

Cool thing with a 4.1 is they can run a 4.0 bore SBC forged piston for 1/3 the price of good 4.1 forged stuff. I'm not there yet though!

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well I took the crank out of the shortblock 4.1 today. Block is 30 over but in good shape. They go to 4.000 bore on them commonly which runs 35 over and SBC rings. Crank looks useable. Probably going to pull the other engine apart in 2 weeks and get this crank cleaned up and swapped over if the guy I got it from is correct.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
1evilregal, Not my Olds!
I just rescued my old '81 Century wagon, it needs somebody to love it!
Buy it before I have to start pumping money into it! lol

Jacob, I'll take your hub-caps... the ones off my car got stolen while it was in Cali hahaha
Blake,
You actually bought your Buick wagon back from Lue?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I am speaking of factory non turbo 110 hp NA 3.8 with the cast (not turbo 2 dot rods and good eutectic pistons)

The GN stuff can hold 600 with a reliable tune. The stock NA pistons longblock from what I understand have thin ring landings and they have poor heat transfer and thin wrist pin reinforcement.

Cool thing with a 4.1 is they can run a 4.0 bore SBC forged piston for 1/3 the price of good 4.1 forged stuff. I'm not there yet though!
Whoops. lol

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I did... I make the worst decisions... lol

blake, if I didn't get dragged into rust repair by the "Chief" instead of selling it,and live halfway across the country, I'd probably be all over it... I personally kinda like the look of the buick wagon frontends... ugly like me!!

81,sorry to have hi-jacked...

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So I pulled the 4.1 apart. Crank snapped. My guess is the shop that welded the crank messed up the heat treat or strength of the main since it snapped at like 1800rpm and spun like 4 times and stopped. Wasnt stuck hard just had to take the rods off and it spun nice. Bearings were nice. Little bit of piston bits in the pan, but didnt get into the engine. Needs rering kit, gaskets, and pistons on 1 and 2.

I have to get the crank looked and and see if it needs to be ground or just cleaned. Block is nice, just needs a dingle ball hone.

I have 3 options if the crank is fine.
1. Buy 2 new speedpro hyper pistons for 1 and 2 since they got whacked by the crank and the rest of the pistons look super nice. Total investment $40 + labor to swap onto rods
2. Buy whole set of dnj pistons for $40 off rockauto and swap all new 6
3. Use non matching but super close pistons that are 30 over out of the other 4.1, total investment $0

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, I know I have weird ideas . . . [just look at my build thread] but I always wanted to AWD one of these old wagons, turbo diesel, more gears, some ground clearance, a set of Terra Grapplers . . . you know, just for fun. An SUV with attitude for a Close Encounters of the Third Kind sequel.

But, I "really" need to just get a 442 back together . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor