Do these things work?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just went through a horrible job swapping out a transmission shifter cable on my Sunfire. While looking for parts I saw that they offer a kit of new plastic retainers that repair the cable end without going through the hell I just went through. I also saw that many GM vehicles like Yukons use these same type cables. Has anyone used them? Here are a few pics, one of the broken ends, a good end, and the kit of new retainers. I read they can be tough to install, but do-able and well worth it. What do you think? IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0690.JPG kit.jpg

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I've used those inserts on my cavalier. Yes, they worked quite well. I was very pleased with them. Swapping the cable out would have been a complete pain in the azz. As it sounds like you know all to well.

Reactions: 1 user

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
I used aftermarket bushing(s) at the shift lever end of the shift cable on a 6L80 truck.

With a new GM lever (integral ballstud,) the aftermarket bushings failed to keep the cable retained.

The ballstud is no gem. I removed it. Turned and threaded a bolt. Pressed the bolt into the lever to replace the ballstud. Turned a bushing to fit. And now have a double nutted retention of my shift cable now.

I like the idea of easy assembly. But when leverage causes something with wear to pop off readily, it's a poor design.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor