Just because it comes up occasionally EV thing

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Friend sent this to me and knowing these come up in conversations. A “new “ idea on EV charging. Not that I’m into them but knowledge is knowledge.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'll see you that and raise you a flashlight: :)

Here's the problem I see with doing it like this...

Say you pay a premium for a certain manufacturer's battery that has X amount of power, amp hours, etc. There's a quality concern for me. What they swap out is probably some third-world battery for your genuine (insert factory quality battery name here) and now you have to deal with a potential problem battery that is nowhere near the quality of the one you just gave up. Just saying. And nobody can convince me that wouldn't happen. How much quality control would there be to ensure a like for like quality? Probably......none. The general "motoring" public wouldn't care because they don't pay attention most of the time. The flip side, is if you have a genuine POS EV that came with a genuine POS EV battery, now you might get a great battery for your POS EV. So there may be some plus sides for some people.

Sorry, I just see this as another high-income, virtue signaling event.

Reactions: 6 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Some years ago here in California there was an idea for a network of stations something like that, but for fuel cell vehicles, to swap in fresh hydrogen canisters. Those stations never got built, fuel cell never caught on.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Fuel cells? Like in Demolition Man?

Getting a taste for Taco Bell now.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Robotic change service? No thanks, I'll keep the 86 with the Q-Jet and 18 mpg.

Watching the video... Hmmm kind of like watching the old Jiffy Oil commercials. Looks all good until they forget the drain plug or the 5 qrts of oil.

Geeze..., what could go wrong?

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Robotic change service? No thanks, I'll keep the 86 with the Q-Jet and 18 mpg.

Watching the video... Hmmm kind of like watching the old Jiffy Oil commercials. Looks all good until they forget the drain plug or the 5 qrts of oil.

Geeze..., what could go wrong?
I gotta cool story bro...

Back when I was in a diesel maintenance class in the Navy, our instructor related to us a story about Jiffy Lube and his wife's Mustang 5.0. She had them change the oil and they apparently just started the threads on the oil drain plug and didn't tighten it. Two blocks after leaving the engine locked up and she got out of the car and there was a trail of oil leading back to the Jiffy Lube parking lot. And it took an act of Congress for him to get Jiffy Lube to own their mistake and fix the car.

Reactions: 3 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I gotta cool story bro...

Back when I was in a diesel maintenance class in the Navy, our instructor related to us a story about Jiffy Lube and his wife's Mustang 5.0. She had them change the oil and they apparently just started the threads on the oil drain plug and didn't tighten it. Two blocks after leaving the engine locked up and she got out of the car and there was a trail of oil leading back to the Jiffy Lube parking lot. And it took an act of Congress for him to get Jiffy Lube to own their mistake and fix the car.

There's no end to the quick lube horror stories. Places just hacking holes into the plastic under trays rather than removing them properly. Draining the transmission instead of the engine. And on and on and on.

• Agree

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I'll see you that and raise you a flashlight: :)

Here's the problem I see with doing it like this...

Say you pay a premium for a certain manufacturer's battery that has X amount of power, amp hours, etc. There's a quality concern for me. What they swap out is probably some third-world battery for your genuine (insert factory quality battery name here) and now you have to deal with a potential problem battery that is nowhere near the quality of the one you just gave up. Just saying. And nobody can convince me that wouldn't happen. How much quality control would there be to ensure a like for like quality? Probably......none. The general "motoring" public wouldn't care because they don't pay attention most of the time. The flip side, is if you have a genuine POS EV that came with a genuine POS EV battery, now you might get a great battery for your POS EV. So there may be some plus sides for some people.

Sorry, I just see this as another high-income, virtue signaling event.

They'll eventually get there with the recharge times I think and any idea of swapping batteries will be moot. At least in theory anyway. Just because the battery and the vehicle can recharge quickly, you still need a charger that can accommodate that too. Many EVs already claim a certain recharge rates, but only if you're connected to a big enough DC fast charger. But most of them aren't necessarily that big.

There will be some new battery tech that will be smaller, can charge quickly, be safer etc. They'll solve those problems. But I think there's going to be a future business case for swapping in newer tech batteries into the current platforms.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I absolutely understand how this could go horribly wrong. I also understand, and have experienced, a technician at Goodyear forgetting to put oil in an engine and the engine blowing up on the freeway AND Goodyear having to fit the bill for GM to place a new engine in the vehicle at a dealership.

My point is, I'm excited for EV vehicles and swaps into older cars. The only part that I'm against is mandating it to the American people. If you want a gas guzzling big block, fine with me. I'm all for offering tax breaks, extra money off, etc... for EVs (its not like they let me pick where my tax dollars go anyway). If costs wasn't an issue, I'd absolutely swap one of my G-Bodies with the drivetrain from a Tesla. The thought of pulling up to a Dodge Hellcat in silence and completely blowing it out of the water brings a smile to my face already.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Just leaving this here..

Jiffy.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor