Just because it comes up occasionally EV thing

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I gotta cool story bro...

Back when I was in a diesel maintenance class in the Navy, our instructor related to us a story about Jiffy Lube and his wife's Mustang 5.0. She had them change the oil and they apparently just started the threads on the oil drain plug and didn't tighten it. Two blocks after leaving the engine locked up and she got out of the car and there was a trail of oil leading back to the Jiffy Lube parking lot. And it took an act of Congress for him to get Jiffy Lube to own their mistake and fix the car.
Not the only person that had that done. Happened a couple times in my area too. Dad was the flatbed owner that took the car back.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If costs wasn't an issue, I'd absolutely swap one of my G-Bodies with the drivetrain from a Tesla. The thought of pulling up to a Dodge Hellcat in silence and completely blowing it out of the water brings a smile to my face already.
You might want to consider getting a bigger Tesla motor like an S or X before picking on a Hellcat. Or one of those new electric Dodges. A 2024 Charger Scat Pack will likely make you regret all that swapping a 3 or Y series. I wouldn't want any of them but I'm sure someone does. And you know Dodge isn't going to stop at 670. They'll probably come out with a Hellcat-ish version somewhere along the line. At least they may not sink like GM with their offering of some gas versions, albeit inline 6's. GM better pull its head out its collective azz if they want to compete with some hybrid or something other than going all in on electric only. Market is starting to saturate with the early adopters and people living paycheck to paycheck aren't buying ANYTHING new hardly, and if they do, it's not BEV.

1710001347986.png

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The EV crowd is in a different part of our society than I. They aren’t affordable, viable or realistic for the average consumer that needs a daily grocery getter.

In terms of aftermarket parts, swaps or cool factor, it will take a different type of hotrodder to complete an EV swap and ignore a $3-5k turbo junkyard LS swap that will make the EV swapper look foolish.

My $.02

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You might want to consider getting a bigger Tesla motor like an S or X before picking on a Hellcat. Or one of those new electric Dodges. A 2024 Charger Scat Pack will likely make you regret all that swapping a 3 or Y series. I wouldn't want any of them but I'm sure someone does. And you know Dodge isn't going to stop at 670. They'll probably come out with a Hellcat-ish version somewhere along the line. At least they may not sink like GM with their offering of some gas versions, albeit inline 6's. GM better pull its head out its collective azz if they want to compete with some hybrid or something other than going all in on electric only. Market is starting to saturate with the early adopters and people living paycheck to paycheck aren't buying ANYTHING new hardly, and if they do, it's not BEV.

View attachment 236213

At those powerlevels a G body will need an aftermarket frame to survive long. G bodies were designed to be granny cars and the body platform was already outdated when they were still in production. Those Hellcats are designed from the ground up to safely handle that amount of power, G bodies not so much. Its better to be heavy and rigid than light and flex like a noodle.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

View attachment 236213

I feel like Dodge is sticking to their niche of this modern muscle car brand. Despite being a midsize sedan, I don't think there are too many people cross shopping a Charger with a Camry, Accord or Elantra. But they've seen a market there that really no one else is addressing.

Prices on new cars went a bit haywire in the pandemic. I think the average price of new cars hit nearly $50k sometime last year, but it's started to come down. But the combination of elevated prices, high interest rates and general inflation, a lot of people aren't buying anything new. But I think a lot of the reports on EV sales are misleading. The way they are phrasing things makes it sound like the sales have dropped off a cliff and nobody is buying them, which isn't really the case. They were seeing these massive increases in sales from like 2020 onward. Something like 40% growth per year. The sales are still growing, just not as fast. I think it's like 10 or 15% growth right now. So they're still going to sell more this year than they did last year, just not as many as they had hoped. I think Ford had this ridiculous estimate that they were going to sell something like 160,000 of the F-150 Lightnings this year? They've cut that in half, but even that would be a huge jump over what they sold in 2023.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Early adopters have got their prizes, and now the curve is flattening. The rapid and sustained growth hope went out the window with our economy, which obviously isn't as fantastic as they say it is. Look at sales of everything in general. Credit card debt is growing faster than EV sales.

Only real "muscle car" they make now is the Mustang. The muscle car era is once again, for all intents and purposes, dead. It's mid-1970s all over again. Unless something changes, I cannot see how an EV can make you WANT to drive and own it. Owning a muscle car is an experience as a whole, not as just something that looks like it might pass as a muscle car until you press the "on" button. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing. Fake muscle cars. Electric motors are neat if you like the G-force. But other than that, they have no real soul. I mean, I never give it ANY thought mashing the go pedal on an electric golf cart. It's A to B and that's it. Utility only. That's what it was made for.

Interestingly, I have nothing against anyone who likes and buys them, or even against their new tech. I just don't care about them and it doesn't stir my nut juice like a good old-fashioned ICE. All I see is a life-sized slot car when I see any EV.

No way, no how, that anyone can use the term muscle car to describe an EV. Not to me. The term "six pack" is a stupid description as well that Dodge is trying to use to describe the inline 6 gas engines they're developing. Powerful? Sure. Six pack? No. Kids nowadays couldn't tell you what the original Mopar six pack was anyway. So why drag up stupid nomenclature from the past if you won't stay true to it?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
You might want to consider getting a bigger Tesla motor like an S or X before picking on a Hellcat. Or one of those new electric Dodges. A 2024 Charger Scat Pack will likely make you regret all that swapping a 3 or Y series. I wouldn't want any of them but I'm sure someone does. And you know Dodge isn't going to stop at 670. They'll probably come out with a Hellcat-ish version somewhere along the line. At least they may not sink like GM with their offering of some gas versions, albeit inline 6's. GM better pull its head out its collective azz if they want to compete with some hybrid or something other than going all in on ele

In this fictional world of me swapping an EV, I'm talking about Tesla Plaid or Lucid Air Sapphire types of power on a Schwartz chassis.

I'm open to any drivetrain in all types of G-Bodies. A 2JZ in a lowrider or electric motors in an 87 Aerocoupe. I want to see more G-Bodies on the street and I don't care what powers them.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The term "six pack" is a stupid description as well that Dodge is trying to use to describe the inline 6 gas engines they're developing. Powerful? Sure. Six pack? No. Kids nowadays couldn't tell you what the original Mopar six pack was anyway. So why drag up stupid nomenclature from the past if you won't stay true to it?
Boomer nostalgia sells, that's why.

The new "hemi" isn't a hemi and real Chargers don't have 4 doors. But hey, Jeeps are Fiats now so all bets are off.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor