Does a Guv-lock need the posi additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
My 2000 2500 Yukon XL has a gov lock in back, but the factory manual does not say anything about additives. Probably couldn't hurt.

The Window Sticker describes it as "locking rear differential" - Sure.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
The old truck 12-bolts flat out sucked due to spindly governor parts. The later stuff might be way better. The way they work is great. Just under designed from a strength standpoint. Yukon makes an improved version but with all the other choices out there I can’t imagine spending the money on one.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They do have clutches and they do lock like a locker when the conditions are right. I could not get it to lock after parking my Z71 in a snow bank, not enough movement, I guess. It did work once moving, I could push snow over the bumper. I added it because I got it cheap. The dealer or whoever ordered it, thought it was good idea to have two open diffs on a truck with the off road package.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Can't hurt to put it in, right? My Pontiac 400 didn't kill it and it was great in the snow.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
They do have clutches and they do lock like a locker when the conditions are right. I could not get it to lock after parking my Z71 in a snow bank, not enough movement, I guess. It did work once moving, I could push snow over the bumper. I added it because I got it cheap. The dealer or whoever ordered it, thought it was good idea to have two open diffs on a truck with the off road package.
I’m pretty sure there’s no clutches in the one in my truck. It’s springs and weights I thought. Definitely doesn’t need an additive. I looked at it pretty close when it was out from exploding the spider gear.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well then I could not use it, then if I detect anything I can always add it later. The only thing is that it works best in snow and that is getting rare here. So I guess I probably can do without it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor