does this sound like a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathproof

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2009
saint louis
i found an 81 malibu for $4000. seller says no rust just needs paint and exhaust. has 400sbc and 400 auto. original factory buckets and floor shift.

Could be, Need more info and pics before anyone can say it's a good deal or not.

Ready for paint can also mean full of bondo. Ask to see pics of the car before the bodywork.

If it needs an exhaust it could mean there's rust underneath. Check the floor pan by pulling up the carpets on both the driver's and passenger's side, also look under the carpet in the trunk in all 4 corners. Also look at the frame, front and back, the part where you put a jack, and the rear frame rails -- is it rusted, and how bad? Last, look at the bottom lip of the inside of the doors -- there will be rust too.

sorry im not computer savvy enough get pictures to do what i want.
i dont know much about what malibus usually go for. i paid 7000 a few years ago for my el camino but everything on it was new (interior engine paint) except the transmission and rearend.

What does the body look like? is it in primer? Or still original paint that needs to be cleaned up? Or is it all rusty? Has it been is an accident?
If the body is straight, I would say it's probably a good deal. What about the drive train. Is it rebuilt, how many miles on it?

And don't forget about things like breaks and suspension. If he has replaced all that, it's even a better deal. If it's still the old original stuff, that adds up pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor