Does anyone have Measurements for the M 80 Stripe Decal?

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Spring time is upon us and it's finally getting warm. Slowly at least in my state. Starting next month I am going to be ordering a bunch of parts both Interior and Exterior most from OPGI, some other stuff from Ebay and one other site. My plan is to make my 81' Malibu into an M81 (Black with Gold Rally Hood/Roof/Trunk and Side Stripes). Of course these never existed, but since many other Gbody owners are styling their cars into SS's. I thought Why Not. I will be ordering a stripe decal set and spoilers soon before I get anything else, I need any Measurement information anyone might have as to the size of the M80 lettering and how long in distance the lettering is, say from the front Wheel to the door, or something like that. I would try to measure inside the image below but there aren't any tools I know of to do this. If this question does not belong here move the post to another section, I thought this area might a good place for my question.

Attachments

• m801.jpg
    m801.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What would the M81 appear like?

I did a quick little stab at it how it might look. Maybe it would look different. I dunno. Definitely worth looking into.

M81 decal for Malibu Door copy.png

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Probably need something for the driver side since they slant different. These are very crude renditions and are NOT cut ready by no means, but they are proportional to what you need. You just need to find the correct size of the stripe and other dimensions, and get a graphic shop to clean up and vectorize the images before you can cut the vinyl. But it's something to start with.

M81 driver door decal for Malibu Door copy.png

Reactions: 3 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Probably need something for the driver side since they slant different. These are very crude renditions and are NOT cut ready by no means, but they are proportional to what you need. You just need to find the correct size of the stripe and other dimensions, and get a graphic shop to clean up and vectorize the images before you can cut the vinyl. But it's something to start with.

View attachment 236830
A Graphic Shop, I was wondering who would cut it if not then I would. I am going to have to get some printer ink or save the image on my phone, I'll look around for whom might be able to cut this out for me.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A good sign shop might be able to help. They do BIG signs and junk so they can scale it up to any size you want, and I'm sure if they have any kind of vectoring software can fix it where they can lay it out and cut it with any substrate vinyl you want (suggest a 3M or Oracal exterior brand, just my opinion). Like I said, i just did some quick crude graphics. It'll need work to get it cut ready.

But if they make the graphic, get a copy of it so you'll have it just in case.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Following. I am curious if there is someone here on the forum who specializes in 3D Printing. I may need to get a Trunk & Grille emblem made.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I got the Rally Stripes in today. Unfortunately the Side Rally Stripes are 2 to 3" too small (my fault). I had to order another set from ebay about 6" in height seems right.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I got the New 6" 3M Gold Stripes in the other day. I had to order one more as these don't fill the entire side of the car but enough to get the Door covered. So I after work and dinner I went out to do some Measuring. I haven't been so creative in a while so here is my result 20240404_194525[1].jpg
Studying the Nascar Numbers from the 80's I came up with the one, since the M80 was based off Nascar and though I really like 69hurstolds design I though this is probably most likely the way Chevy would have had this done if this Trim package were made available. Monday is a day off so I am going to go to a Graphics Shop and see if they will cut a section then cut the lettering out of that for both sides

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor