Don't Want To Be Slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Basically, I have a sorta involved question. And more or less ,any response will be appreciated. I'm not too advanced in my knowledge of old car restoration. I've been mostly into building up Hondas. I've always loved classic cars, but never knew too much about the engines.

Here's the deal. The car that I'm working with is my GP. 1985 Pontiac Grand Prix base model. It only has the 3.8L V6 buick motor with the 3 speed auto right now. I don't even know what the rear end ratio is. All I know is that the car is real slow. But I mean, for 110hp, you can't expect much. Like many G body owners, I want to change my engine out. I'm not saying i want a Trans Am 6.6 or anything, but I just want a V8. I don't evne care if it's the stock 305/307 G body engine. A 350 would probably be the most cost efficient, yet powerful choice. Exhaust is no issue because all of that needs changed anyway. I'm not really even asking what engine to go with, I'm actually asking what the best choice for me is in terms of ease. Such as, should I completely piece together a set-up (engine, transmission, rear end) or should I just buy a donor car (let's just say 80's Camaro Z28 and use the engine and the like? Could that be done? Because then I'm just have the power of a Camaro Z28, but in my Gbody armor. lol. And also, what is a good set up for a drivable good street car? I'm only driving the car during the late spring to early fall months when it's in the build process. I'd use it for a little driving, and maybe a few redlight run-ins. I'm not saying I want to keep up with a corvette Z06, but I want to be able to hold my own. Not nescessarily 0-60 in 5 seconds, but certainly not 0-60 in never...like now). lol. Such as, what is a solid engine/transmission/rear combo? And lastly, how extensive is a manual conversion? I don't really care time-wise, but can I do it without buying a brand new transmission with 0 miles on it and everything? I'd really prefer to do a manaual swap, but if not, definately convert to a 4 speed floor shift auto...

Sorry if it's alot... but absolutely ANY help will be GREATLY appreciated!

:D

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Getting a donor car will be the least expensive way to get a V8; chasing down and buying all the little parts adds up in a hurry. Unfortunately, an F-body won't be much help there, since all the motor mounts, crossmember, driveshaft, wire harness, rear axle, etc. will be different. Definitely get a G-body donor. You'll be stuck with a 305 or 307, but you can upgrade later.

Another think to consider is emissions compliance. I don't know what the laws are like in PA, but here in northern Virginia an 85 will need to be tested every two years (there's a cutoff at 25 years old). If you must do an emissions legal swap, you'll need the correct computer and wire harness for a G-body also. Rule of thumb is that you can swap newer, but not older.

Bottom line is to get a factory service manual for your car. All G-bodies had optional V8s, so you'll be able to see all the different brackets, clips, etc. that you'll need. Good luck.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Excellent. I'm actually getting a factory 85 manual from another member here later in the week!

Basically, I found a good deal yesterday then. An 86 GP Brougham. It had the V8 and mostly good panels. It sold on eBay for like 500 I think. I need to stumble into something like that!

So i basically need to find some G body that is completely rusted out, but runs and drives strong for real cheap and just get to work?

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor