Door alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
I replaced my passenger door on my GP last weekend. The door sticks out about 1/8 inch from the rest of the body, when fully closed, causing a slight gap between window and weatherstripping. How do I go about adjusting things to get it to sit flush with the body? Much thanks.

If it is the whole door sticking out at the back, you could loosen the striker and move it inward. I haven't worked on a G-body's doors yet, but the striker should be adjustable. Just make sure when you move it that it doesn't move up or down.

A little advice on moving it as well, don't loosen it too much, just enough where you can lightly tap it with a ratchet, hammer, etc. to get it to move.

On my cutlass I literally have to SLAM the doors to get them to shut. If I just try to push them close, you can here the latch try to catch, and then when you let the pressure off the door will pop out about an 1/8". But if one of my windows is down, the doors will shut easy. It only happens with both doors have the windows up. I'm afraid I'm going to break the glass I have to shut them so hard.

jonnyslick said:
On my cutlass I literally have to SLAM the doors to get them to shut. If I just try to push them close, you can here the latch try to catch, and then when you let the pressure off the door will pop out about an 1/8". But if one of my windows is down, the doors will shut easy. It only happens with both doors have the windows up. I'm afraid I'm going to break the glass I have to shut them so hard.

My car does the same thing. I think it has something to do with pressure in the passenger compartment or something. I have no idea how you are supposed to make it stop though.

Also, obviously if your doors sag because the hinges are worn, it will make them hard to close. My hinges are worn, but as a temporary fix, I moved the hinge on the pillar up to compensate. It hasn't helped, so I wonder if when I replace the pins in the hinges if that would make a difference. They probably need to be adjusted where the door attaches to the hinge.

If your doors close nicely with the windows down, and the door alignment looks OK, yet you have trouble closing the door with the windows up, your glass is misadjusted. Take the door panel off and adjust the tilt of the glass. Nobody reads GM manuals anymore.

kustomkyle said:
If it is the whole door sticking out at the back, you could loosen the striker and move it inward. I haven't worked on a G-body's doors yet, but the striker should be adjustable. Just make sure when you move it that it doesn't move up or down.

Striker doesn't seem to be adjustable. I guess I'll take the panel off and atleast see if I can adjust the glass so there is no gap. I can live with a slightly misaligned door. Thanks guys.

srercrcr said:
If your doors close nicely with the windows down, and the door alignment looks OK, yet you have trouble closing the door with the windows up, your glass is misadjusted. Take the door panel off and adjust the tilt of the glass. Nobody reads GM manuals anymore.

Are there any measurements that the GM manual gives for the window adjustment. I have the same problem with closing the doors like others unless a window is open and I would have never thought that a window adjustment would cure that.....thanks.... 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor