Door hinges one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
My 79 malibu has door drop and needs hinges. Problem is it has custom paint. Can they be replaced one at a time when fully assembled with out actually pulling the door off. Seems very tight with fender on. Also what are the best ones to get. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20181018_174114.jpg
    20181018_174114.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 224

Jame

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Im not against replacing just the pins and bushings but cannt see how to get them out with out removing the hinge anyway. Dont really want to pull the door off and chance damaging the paint

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Support the door wide open on a floor jack, have someone hold the door steady. With the V shaped spring compressor, remove the upper spring. Then remove the 6 bolts and pull the hinge out. Do reverse order to install either yours (rebuilt) or a new one. If you go with new, paint it the day before. And tape off the fender/door seam before you start.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you are lucky, the pins have only worn through the bushing and have not yet ovaled out the bushing holes. If so, you may be able to do the swap on the car. If it's necessary to weld in and redrill the holes, that is easiest off the car. Support the open door so it does not sink (as in a leaky floor jack). Mark around the hinges and start with the upper one (most likely to wear). Be aware that the three bolts go into square nut plates inside the door frame. They will want to drop within their individual pockets, so that is why you want to mark them before removing them one hinge at a time.
DSCN4607.JPG DSCN4610.JPG DSCN4611.JPG
Use a door spring compressor tool and remove the door spring, then tap out the hinge. Some hinges may have a pin retainer sleeve with a couple tabs that stick out. Press them in and tap out. Tap out the bushings and gently file down any burrs. As needed, MIG a few beads in the ovaled out area and then carefully file the hole round again. JB Weld will NOT last more than 5 minutes, so don't waste your time considering this.
DSCN4612.JPG DSCN4613.JPG
I didn't remember to take photos until after I had reassembled the hinges, but you can see that I had to restore the hole to round.
DSCN4608.JPG DSCN4609.JPG
If you don't plan to repaint the car, now is a great time to paint the hinges with a rattle can so the welded-in section is protected from future rust. If you are lucky, the hinge will go back into place and the door will remain aligned. Whatever you do, don't take them both off at the same time. It was years until I had the skills to realign the door after I made this mistake.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
95% rule is replace the bushings and pins. Buy the spring compressor or come on over and I will lend you mine

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
A+ on that idea. I even have a hoist and never thought of that. Is the front end off that Elco? When the fender is off and you remove the upper spring, you can close the door and r&r the hinge without any external support. That's what I just did on my Elco. Just do 1 at a time.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor