Door hinges one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
A+ on that idea. I even have a hoist and never thought of that. Is the front end off that Elco? When the fender is off and you remove the upper spring, you can close the door and r&r the hinge without any external support. That's what I just did on my Elco. Just do 1 at a time.
Yes, the front end was off the car. You can see the fenders in the room to the right which were just painted if you look closely. Also, my doors were just the shells at that time. All the guts were removed for painting.

To suspend the door, I just used one of these kind of tie down ropes. One hook in the door handle hole on the outsite and the other hook on the inside of the door at the other end. Worked great.

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Yes, the front end was off the car. You can see the fenders in the room to the right which were just painted if you look closely. Also, my doors were just the shells at that time. All the guts were removed for painting.

To suspend the door, I just used one of these kind of tie down ropes. One hook in the door handle hole on the outsite and the other hook on the inside of the door at the other end. Worked great.
As I said A+ I'll be doing that whenever I have to take a door off from here on.

Reactions: 1 user

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
I see ssn has used the knurled bushings in his repair.from reading the dorman package it says they come with 2 different size bushings,,,.490 of and .420 of.thats quite a big difference.did you drill it out or is the larger size the size of the hole in the hinge anyway?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
When I do them, I prefer to leave the half on the pillar alone, and cut the pins out after removing the door. Less adjustment required that way (only 2 planes to deal with, rather than 4), plus I'm used to having the pillar half attached from all the later GM stuff anyway.

Welding the holes is a last resort, I have in the past drilled for and gone to a larger OD bushing if the hole is grossly worn. Welding the hole up can make recentering tricky if you're a novice at this.

Gaffer tape is your friend, tape all the edges with a couple layers to help protect the paint.

And the door support on a jack can be a help, we use one at work.

I got lucky and did the hinges on the coupe while I had the front clip off. Was able to move the door out enough to cut the pins out (belt sander) and leave all halves attached to their respective mount points while re-bushing the hinges. Made realignment a breeze, only very minor movement to correct what was probably sloppy original build fitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor