drive shaft issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2020
whats up fellow gear heads, I have an 86 el camino/caballero, last year i did an ls swap with a 4l60E I used the stock placement for the transmission cross member with the stock driveshaft and all was fine, I just recently upgraded to 373 gears and upgraded the u-joints when putting the drive line back in, last weekend while releasing some stress/testing out the new gears on the frwy, my drive line decided to eject itself from car, the weird part is, i didnt get any warnings before, no wobble noise or rough riding, it just shot out like a rocket. that being said does anyone know what could have gone wrong and does anyone know if can pull one out of a newer model car or do i need a custom made driveshaft seeing how these are discontinued anything helps!
P.S. the bad news for you guys is, theres no damaged pictures for you to see! the good news is, theres no damaged pictures for you too se
e :LOL::ROFLMAO:😂

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Obviously, there was an error in procedure... You pose a very vague question with few details and no pics. How does one "upgrade the u-joints" without getting a driveshaft built or building one yourself (we have a crafty member)? You can't see any signs of failure? Strap let go? Missing retainer clips? Yoke not seated in the trans enough?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
May 12, 2020
Obviously, there was an error in procedure... You pose a very vague question with few details and no pics. How does one "upgrade the u-joints" without getting a driveshaft built or building one yourself (we have a crafty member)? You can't see any signs of failure? Strap let go? Missing retainer clips? Yoke not seated in the trans enough?
I didn’t take pictures of the spline where the yoke goes only because theres was no issue there as far as damaged goes, and by upgrading the u-joints, what i meant was i changed out the old ones for new ones

Attachments

• 78A453AF-833D-492B-ACEC-6088E6716058.jpeg
    78A453AF-833D-492B-ACEC-6088E6716058.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 373

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Definite signs of the U joint exiting. Was it installed and torqued properly? I don't see the strap, did it break? Did the U joint break? Is the drive shaft in one piece?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The one time I lost a driveshaft was from a strap that got installed wrong. A younger kid was helping my buddy and I put a 12 bolt in my car temporarily while my rearend got fixed. He was wanting to learn stuff, so I installed one strap to show him, my dumb azz didn't check his work. A couple days later I dropped the driveshaft at about 30mph. Scared the crap outta me!

• Informative

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had these straps on my 67 A body rear end, dropped the driveshaft once but never admitted to my screw up to you guys,,,,
su-131_67.jpg

put these on after that and no issues

710-85810.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
You got the stock driveshaft to fit with an ls/4l60e? What did you have in it before? What mounts did you use? The reason I ask is, the 4l60e is 3" longer than anything that came in these cars.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Strap failed. The one still installed looks 'not new'. Those strap kits are darn cheap, buy new. The ones that pontiacgp posted a pic of are really nice, but you truly don't need them. ou have to work to get the UJ centered in that yoke, but it can be done. I use the ones in the 1st pic that pgp posted and we put the wood to it - they work.

Regarding your shaft, you mot likely need a new one. The chances of that shaft being salvageable are slim to none. Find a local truck shop that builds shafts -is there a FleetPride in your area? They are economical. The front two yokes on yours should be good, then you'll need tube and rear yoke. The yoke on the rear end should be fine from the looks of it. Make sure the UJ fits in it properly and it should be good to go.

p.s. - you're livin' life on the edge with a 4L60 if your LS is much beyond stock.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Strap failed. The one still installed looks 'not new'. Those strap kits are darn cheap, buy new. The ones that pontiacgp posted a pic of are really nice, but you truly don't need them. ou have to work to get the UJ centered in that yoke, but it can be done. I use the ones in the 1st pic that pgp posted and we put the wood to it - they work.

Regarding your shaft, you mot likely need a new one. The chances of that shaft being salvageable are slim to none. Find a local truck shop that builds shafts -is there a FleetPride in your area? They are economical. The front two yokes on yours should be good, then you'll need tube and rear yoke. The yoke on the rear end should be fine from the looks of it. Make sure the UJ fits in it properly and it should be good to go.

p.s. - you're livin' life on the edge with a 4L60 if your LS is much beyond stock.

the reason I got the girdle straps is there isn't a c clip to hold the cup in place, there is just a tab and it is worn down a bit after 40 years...it could have been that I stripped the threads a bit allowing the u bolts to back off but I will never admit to that

O_RPZgPNRDWknxgX6oV_aBhEZrQuIQns8z4pnoXZ4elphADWutaR9QvM6u7E-cqqeomjHvl4mgQpX95sfa4cILZ_oxcgJRh3K6I_xP2ertAPY6T26QDR2wTGxqfWpL6UtL-gdMzMzue_8sk

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor