Drive shaft length needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Ok this is off subject, kind've, but it seems like the 700R4's blow up allot, why? I had mine built up slightly (stronger clutch packs) and it went. I feel like building up mine to stand up to the 406 i'm building will just be a kamikaze mission.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Blake442 said:
xitabl442 said:
I just ordered an aluminum driveshaft at 51 1/2 c-c. I am wondering now though, is the length correct for the sbc i my car. I forgot about that. Did the 307 set in a different location?

SBC or SBO doesn't matter. The flange of the bellhousing will be in the same place.
As long as the trans is in the stock location, 51.5" is the length you need.
X2-------------- I know you got $300+ tied up in this shaft and I see your concerned.....We wouldn't give you bad 411, we been there done that!!! Enjoy 8)

CamaroAdam73 said:
Ok this is off subject, kind've, but it seems like the 700R4's blow up allot, why? I had mine built up slightly (stronger clutch packs) and it went. I feel like building up mine to stand up to the 406 i'm building will just be a kamikaze mission.
I've been looking for a trans builder for the last few months and thought I wanted a 700 back in. After all they are bigger right? Bigger is better, right? It seems everyone building the 700 has their own claim to fame! As soon as I thought I found the one I wanted, I would find another that said theirs is stronger because ______ . Then I considered having my 200 rebuilt, which I thought was going to be way more money than a 700, and I found that there are two guys to go to for the 200R4, Extreme Automatics in Cincinnati, or CK performance in NY. Price is almost the same and the 200 is original, smaller, lighter , better OD, better 1-2 shift, and all my linkage will fit again. I hope it lurches when it goes into gear like my brothers GN did.

Put the trans in tonight and the drive shaft fit perfectly! Thanks again for the help guys.
On another note, the converter sets about 5/16 away from the flywheel with the trans bolted tight. Should I just pull it up tight or does this require a shim?

I was concerned that the notch in the converter was only about a half inch deep, so I didn't want to pull it that far without checking first. I called Lonnie at Extreme and was told that there should be no more than 3/16 and to shim it up for the difference. He said flat washers were fine for shims.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
A good rule of thumb is add or subtract 2.75-3" depending on whether your going from t350/200(either 200), powerglide or the none rock crusher Muncie to 700/400. Those are not exact but well within tolerance and I've done it that way for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor