driveshaft question

Status
Not open for further replies.

STONEYH

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2005
Grove City Ohio
I have a 78 cutlass with a 305 and a 200 3spd. I have a th350 to put in but will the drive shaft need to be shorter or longer? :?:

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
That all depends on the size of the tailshaft, if it is a short tailshaft then it will bolt right in.

Randy

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
It will swap right in, TH200 and TH350 are the same lenght.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
mrapii said:
It will swap right in, TH200 and TH350 are the same lenght.
I second that! mrapii is right. It will be the same lenght. The only mod you'll have to do is replace the Detent cable, or "kickdown" the TH-200 have a bigger end on them.

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY
ss4ever said:
That all depends on the size of the tailshaft, if it is a short tailshaft then it will bolt right in.

Randy

87 regal originally with

Olds 307 and THM 200 trans (RPO: MW9)
that is pulled out already.

I have aquired a 305ci (RPO:LG4) temporarily with a
THM 350(RPO: M38, MV4, MX2) trans going in butthe trans is short.

First Question:
How do i tell which RPO code is the transmission?
(I do know the engine is from a '86 camaro but the trans I bought separatly.)

Second Question:
The 350 trans is considreably shorter that the 200. I already plan on getting the crosmember for true dual ex. and it moves it up to mount, BUT, my drive shaft is too short now what do I do.

I'd rather not have one made and theres gotta be longer drive shaft out of a full size or truck, or even another G-body w/ that engine/trans setup I need input!!

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You evidently have a THM2004R trans and not a THM200C. Any driveshaft from a G-Body (except El Camino) that was originally equipped with a THM350, THM350C, THM200 or THM250 will be the proper lenght driveshaft. Any G Body older than 1984 will have one of those automatic trans and even newer models are likely to have one.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Well its a good idea to get an aftermarket crossmember. That will save you the trouble when your installing the exhaust. As for the transmission I don't know why the TH-350 would be shorter than the TH-200. Unless the old transmission you pulled out was a 4 spd TH-2004R they are slightly longer.

PropKat44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2006
Glenville, NY
mrapii said:
You evidently have a THM2004R trans and not a THM200C. Any driveshaft from a G-Body (except El Camino) that was originally equipped with a THM350, THM350C, THM200 or THM250 will be the proper lenght driveshaft. Any G Body older than 1984 will have one of those automatic trans and even newer models are likely to have one.

Yes I did have a 4 speed 200 4R w/ elect. OD. So older G body drive shafts will work. I was beginning to get the impression from asking around that the short one was and oddball. So it is out there, I just have to find it!!

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Yeah, it shouldn't take much searching in junkyards to find something. I see a lot of GBody cars lying around, just nothing that I need :? But a drive shaft should be easy enough to come by! What are you doing with the old TH-2004R? What kind of shape is it in? I might be intrested...

Thats weird we both posted at the exact same time! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor