Driveshaft yoke stuck in transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’d start with a stubby 3 pound hammer and some wood to prevent damaging the yoke.

View attachment 187867
$7 at Harbor Freight, truly a great, compact hammer. And for $7, I'm always willing to throw extra abuse at it with no concern.

I think it says something about a person (me) when someone identifies one of my favorite tools ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I doubt the splines are twisted. It's a Buick V-6 engine. Or rusted. I poked at the seal and oil came out. I think the shaft was replaced and some jerk used glue or sealer to " fix it good". I would not even bother but, the last time I had my driveshaft serviced with new U-joints and balanced, the guy said it was slightly bent and I really should get it replaced. This junkyard one is so clean I want it. I can bring a come-along, blow torch, and a BFH and try again.

Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I have actually twisted the splines on a yoke with a stock Buick v6 and a th350 with a shift kit. That trans shifted ridiculously hard so that's what I'm sure did it. A few good whacks with a stubby sledge and it popped out.

• Wow

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Sawzall the tail shaft off the transmission.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
  • Informative

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yo, Bonnewagon, did you happen to pull the stick on that t-mission and check to see if there was any ATF in it? That water comment might not be too far off track if the box has been sitting long enough for water/moisture/rain/snow/?? to infiltrate it. Not many places that water can get in, but it doesn't take all that much either to start the rust machine up. Be even easier for water to infiltrate if the mill is gone and it is just the t-mission sitting there by itself.

Nick

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, but I stabbed at the seal with a screwdriver. Only red oil came out. Any water would be at the bottom so I don't think it got contaminated. I'll get it out. It is pretty far away but I get out there once in a while. I wasn't prepared to blast it out at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor