dying plastic wheelwells

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I want to make my inner wheelwells red like the old W30's had. Do they make plastic dye, or will I have to go with plastic paint? Is there any other more effective ways of doing this?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, you could use vinyl dye, but it would take an excessive number of coats to get good coverage, and risk peeling. If I were trying to do this, I would see if there was a variant of your car that ever had steel wheel wells, and paint them red instead. The A body 442 ones I believe were red plastic, but am not 100% sure of this off the top of my head.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Well, you could use vinyl dye, but it would take an excessive number of coats to get good coverage, and risk peeling. If I were trying to do this, I would see if there was a variant of your car that ever had steel wheel wells, and paint them red instead. The A body 442 ones I believe were red plastic, but am not 100% sure of this off the top of my head.

I did some reading on what they were made of and it was red fiberglass. Are all gbody wheelwells the same? That would work out much nicer if steel. Has anyone tried Krylons plastic paint? The car wont be driven much, and only in good weather, so I would imagine the paint would hold up pretty good for a while with out havin to touch it up.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think some of the early ones may be steel, but I am unsure. I know A bodies switched to plastic at some point, so GM may have made all of them out of plastic from that point on.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
not all g-body fender wells are the same, the regal and cutlass shared the same. These wheel wells were also two piece unlike the chevy ones

Monte carlo, malibu, el camino and grand prix shared the same set of wells. my 78 monte has the same plastic wells as the 88 monte did and they are intercahngeable too. I painted mine years ago, just scuffed them up, primered them then sprayed them black. Primered and painted with rattle cans.

willitell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
Plastic on my 1979 cutlass. Never heard of anyone's being steel either...

If you stick with duplicolor products, they make an adhesion promoter, and you could scuff up the plasic to improve adhesion. If you want the part by the wheels painted... well i'd reccomend a high number of coats, and several coats of clear, but it'd probably still go to sh*t after the first rock hits it.

Now if you want to really get nuts, why not make your own out of red fiberglass? I know a guy who redid all the plastics on his kawa crotch rocket by laying the glass on the original, and guess what color resin he used...... red.
It'll be a bit more pricey, but if you want that look, it's the way I'd do it.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
i think you can buy fiberglass ones through that US body. maybe i am wrong though.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
SBCregal said:
i dont believe DYE will peel...paint will
dye wont

That is what I want to do, but do they sell dye for that kind of plastic? Will it work on black plastic?

I know they have dye for vinly and other interior pieces, but who kknows about this type of plastic.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
dan2286 said:
SBCregal said:
i dont believe DYE will peel...paint will
dye wont

That is what I want to do, but do they sell dye for that kind of plastic? Will it work on black plastic?

I know they have dye for vinly and other interior pieces, but who kknows about this type of plastic.

I think it's ABS plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor