Car runs rough then dies

wtfklf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2023
I have an 82 malibu with a 5.3 ls swap. I was heading home the other day and it started running rough and throttle wouldn't work. Then it cleared up and was fine the rest of the way home. While idling it will start running rough till it dies and throttle does nothing. There are no codes and 60psi fuel pressure. Anybody got any ideas?

Reactions: 1 user

wtfklf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2023
It also has a stock gen 3 pcm and an ebay swap harness.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Common problem with IAC valve when it starts going out. Intermittent issue, doesn't always throw a code into OBDII.

Find where it is remove it, spray it with carb cleaner and put it back in.

One of the idiosyncrasies with drivability problems, is usually the worst symptoms are caused by the most minor cause.

If the car is running absolutely fine and all of a sudden starts acting bad..., look for loose or disconnected connectors, failed sensors, worn, burnt or dirty solenoid/motor actuated parts.

So, some of the other things to look at in your case, are: EGR, Fuel Injectors, one or more coils, loose or dirty connection to ECM, vacuum leaks, weak battery, alternator regulator not maintaining at low rpm...

Try the IAC it's fairly simple, but basically need to run a scan tool on your setup, or you start chasing your tail.

Last edited:

wtfklf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2023
I swapped iac with a good one and it still does it. All I have is a cheapo code reader so it really doesn't help much. The old lady's uncle is a mechanic, so I'm gonna see if he has a good scan tool that will show us live data.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Hmmm... Wonder if issue is in eBay harness wiring quality.

Hopefully scan will show you something.

wtfklf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2023
I kinda wondered that, but from what I have seen people have pretty good luck with them. The swap has around 150 miles on it now and was 75% done when I bought it. So it's had several bugs to work out.

WAGOOON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2023
Have a peek at the crank sensor and it’s wires & connector. See if there’s any metal sticking to the sensor

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Another item to check would be throttle position sensor. Usually when those go bad, it will set a code and go into Limpy, but might be something to look at.

wtfklf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2023
Cam sensor was loose and had a port under the map sensor not plugged on intake.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor