E-brake conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Like it or hate, has anyone ever done, seen, or thought about changing the emergancy brake from a floor pedal to a modern style with a hand lever by the middle console?

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
seen it on mcss.com i was going to do it but ended up putting stock console back in my car. guess i need to put my e-brake pedal back in lol.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I have always wanted it, but I never actually put any thought into doing it. I guess if you got a center console that already has one and somehow made it fit, it would not be that hard to set up.

I have never had a car with that kind of e-brake, so I just have got used to it. I am pretty good at using it to slide around in the snow with the front wheel drive cars I have owned. :)

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Jman said:
seen it on mcss.com i was going to do it but ended up putting stock console back in my car. guess i need to put my e-brake pedal back in lol.

wtf man, it looks so easy to do. Just do it! Put in a hand lever and either get a manual or convert the shifter to the steering column.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Its real easy to do buy a lokar one or any oem one will work mount it on the floor and run the cables to it.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
moose said:
Jman said:

wtf man, it looks so easy to do. Just do it! Put in a hand lever and either get a manual or convert the shifter to the steering column.

I already got the manual trans, but the hand brake wont work with the stock console. I had a 98 maro console in there but ended up selling it.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Jman said:
moose said:
Jman said:

I already got the manual trans, but the hand brake wont work with the stock console. I had a 98 maro console in there but ended up selling it.

My apologies Jman. I put mcss.com in the URL and also googled it, and the sites that showed up were definately not automotive sites. I assumed you were pulling my leg, so I thought I'd be a smart *ss. If it's as easy as andrewmp6 makes it out to be I'm probably gonna do it.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
andrewmp6 said:
Its real easy to do buy a lokar one or any oem one will work mount it on the floor and run the cables to it.
Will ANY OEM work? Can I use one from say, an Acura? Or do you mean any GM lever?

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
what ever way you decide to do it, you will still need to mount the handle to the floor. then its just a matter of getting the correct cables to hook it all up. The car on the monte site used lokar cables because they are adjustable.

mcss is www.montecarloss.com

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I know I'm a little late on this, but cant you just take the pedal assembley out, and grind the little teeth off the arched part attatched to the pedal, and put it back together? You could slide around in the winter the same way, it'd just take a little getting used to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor