E85 advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
From what was said above you can see there is NO advantage to E-85 UNLESS it is a performance situation or you just want to be green.

E85 is actually way less "green" than gasoline. Way more Fossil fuel is burned making E85 than gasoline and land that could be used to feed people is subsidized by our grandkids to make shallow people who believe every fake news story they watch on the mainstream media believe they are somehow, someway saving the planet by using it (because a corn state government, peer review study from 25 years ago said so).

Corn alcohol isn't and never will be "green", unless its tinted green... and I'm from Nebraska.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My 08 Dodge Ram 1500 is Flex Fuel and will take E85.

But for the current models I can't find any other than GM. It seems that since E85 have been in the pumps for over 10 years if it was as good as some people think it sure hasn't caught on

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If E85 is so good then why is every car manufacturer ignoring it, except for GM

All of the big 3 gas guzzlers could use it. It was how they planned to meet an idiotic 54 mpg CAFE, foisted on us by people that ride limos to "work".

GM has a "Special Relationship" with the government and it may be in their "pay no taxes on your profits for the next 10 years" bailout to keep the corn state votes flowing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
All of the big 3 gas guzzlers can use it. It was how they planed to meet an idiotic 54 mpg CAFE, foisted on us by people that ride limos to "work".

for 54 mpg we'll be driving this....

1200px-Honda_Hobbit.jpg

or if technology advances far enough .....

jetsons.jpg

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
But for the current models I can't find any other than GM. It seems that since E85 have been in the pumps for over 10 years if it was as good as some people think it sure hasn't caught on

It has never caught on, because the big 3 have always used it as a CAFE dodge, which plays to the weakness of E85 (fuel economy) and not to the strength (increased performance in boosted engines). If they had sold a "330 HP on E85" Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky Turbo, Pontiac and Saturn might still exist. Instead, selling "11 mpg on E85" Avalanches and Hummers is why GM went bankrupt.

Nobody has heard about the CAFE dodge, because who is going to tell us? Nobody involved in a scam is going to broadcast it, and speaking of broadcasts, the media get billions from big 3... like they are going to spill the beans.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX

According to this list there is several cars and car companys, "The Big Three" that have several vehicles that use Flex Fuel. And Jaguar and Land Rover, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, etc. So there are several that run flex fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible-fuel_vehicles_in_the_United_States

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It has never caught on, because the big 3 have always used it as a CAFE dodge, which plays to the weakness of E85 (fuel economy) and not to the strength (increased performance in boosted engines). If they had sold a "330 HP on E85" Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky Turbo, Pontiac and Saturn might still exist. Instead, selling "11 mpg on E85" Avalanches and Hummers is why GM went bankrupt.

Nobody has heard about the CAFE dodge, because who is going to tell us? Nobody involved in a scam is going to broadcast it, and speaking of broadcasts, the media get billions from big 3... like they are going to spill the beans.

I don't the manipulation of us the consumers will ever change

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
According to this list there is several cars and car companys, "The Big Three" that have several vehicles that use Flex Fuel. And Jaguar and Land Rover, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, etc. So there are several that run flex fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible-fuel_vehicles_in_the_United_States

I'm not sure about other parts of the western world but here in Ontario they do not have enough corn for 10% ethanol. The gas stations up north in Ontario have no ethanol gas and there are some in Southern Ontario that run out of ethanol and you get regular gas without knowing about it. Premium gas in a few stations never have ethanol in it. I think the availability of corn and the cost of it is hindering the expansion of it but like UNGN said it's all about marketing and we are never told the truth

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
selling "11 mpg on E85" Avalanches and Hummers is why GM went bankrupt.

The only place GM went bankrupt was on paper - dumping their liabilities. Sore subject, I was on the receiving end.
Check Nascar E-15, claims - 20% reduction in emissions - right !!

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not sure about other parts of the western world but here in Ontario they do not have enough corn for 10% ethanol. The gas stations up north in Ontario have no ethanol gas and there are some in Southern Ontario that run out of ethanol and you get regular gas without knowing about it. Premium gas in a few stations never have ethanol in it. I think the availability of corn and the cost of it is hindering the expansion of it but like UNGN said it's all about marketing and we are never told the truth

I have no idea what your saying has to do with my reply lol. You just said GM was the only one using Flex Fuel, when thats not true at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor