Easiest Kill switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
My kill switch is the gas pedal. Pump it a few times and it floods and won't start. LOL.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i wouldn't wire it to the starter. that's way too easy to bypass, one long screwdriver to short the terminals and done. you're better off hooking it into the ignition coil power circuit.

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
megaladon6 said:
i wouldn't wire it to the starter. that's way too easy to bypass, one long screwdriver to short the terminals and done. you're better off hooking it into the ignition coil power circuit.

Bypassing the ignition is just as easy.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The key is to have more than just one device that you disable on the car. The longer they have to mess with it to try and get it started, the more likely they'll just move on.

A few of my plans are an ignition kill switch, a fuel pump kill switch, gps tracker, etc. Or, if you have an EFI engine, just pull the computer if you have to leave the car. ;)

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
shotgun said:
Used a piece of thick black vacuum line with "correct" ends glued on.
Or snip a length of wire with the correct end on it from the junkyard, then tape the wire into the loom to make it look original :)

megaladon6 said:
If you can get easy access to the starter... with headers the only reasonable way to get to mine is to crawl under the car, which is lowered, so you better have something long that won't make contact with a ground anywhere. Also, if they already have an extra HEI +12v plug (or even a regular spade plug, that's all it is) with a good length of wire, all they'd have to do is plug it into the distributor...

My '81 was almost stolen a couple years ago. I only had the coil unplugged that time, but it was enough to keep the scumbag from getting the car.

I'll have several deterrents in mine. Planning to weld/bolt a plate in over the lock cylinder so you can't jimmy it as easily to unlock the door. I currently have a secondary siren in the interior of the car that you can't get to without removing stuff (doesn't go off until they turn on the ignition). At least two separate, hidden kill circuits in addition to the alarm system itself (using original switches, i.e. headlight switch, horn button, power window/lock button, etc.) will be put in place so they can't start it. Since I'll be rewiring the car eventually, all this wiring will be taped and tied up under the dash so they'll never know what's what without a flashlight and following wires closely.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
If you have an electric fuel pump, simply take the fuse out & carry it with you. You did install a fuse in an electrical circuit, right?

I don't know if thieves carry spare fuses with them, but this is one more way to hamper their efforts.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
If you are running an MSD 6 series ignition box, just follow their directions and wire up a kill switch that way.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
82355supreme said:
If you have an electric fuel pump, simply take the fuse out & carry it with you. You did install a fuse in an electrical circuit, right?

I don't know if thieves carry spare fuses with them, but this is one more way to hamper their efforts.

Yep, actually all of the fuses for the EFI run through a relay board in the engine bay.

For my kill switches I plan to run an actual keyed switch instead of a toggle. That way if they do find the switch they'd still need a key to engage it or start ripping things apart to get to the backside of the switch.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Thing is (if the wiring behind the switch is somewhat accessible) is they could clamp one of those no-strip wire taps on and bypass it. A dummy switch or two isn't a bad idea either :D

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 241

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Ground the tach terminal on the cap it's the terminal next to the power input to the coil. Use a 20 gauge wire and run it to your toggle switch, from there to a good ground. If you can find a factory connector end it looks like it came that way.
Be sure to hide the switch well, mine has saved my car three times.They might break the column open but the car won't start,and there won't be any relays or bogus looking wiring to get ripped out from under the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor