Edelbrock 1406 Turd (re)Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Remind me not to buy one of these turds. I'm doing this for a friend, and it needed a bunch of help. Aside from the sunk floats, the previous owner (late father) had the transfer slots and a bunch of other adjustments were skewed.
Still don't want.
I figured you had more sense than to buy one of those POS. They had hot start issues among other issues, AVS had second metering issues 50 years ago. The Edelbrock castings are not as good as the orginal Carter castings, which doesn't help. Not sure if the new AVS2 is actually any better or not. I like my tuned Qjet but I think a tuned Street Demon 750 will go on the stroker SBO. Although any of the Quickfuel seems to be the way to go for a Holley style carb.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I've been challenged, accepted it, puckered my butt, crossed my fingers, and soldiered on.
20191005_160009.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ebrock 1406 is the best carburetor ever made!

...said no one ever.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
i loved all of my edelbrock carbs, I dont know about bracket racing consistancy but with a little tuning they always worked good for me

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
i loved all of my edelbrock carbs, I dont know about bracket racing consistancy but with a little tuning they always worked good for me
A few do like them. I have seen way to many threads on Olds sites where hours and every part imaginable don't fix poor running. Nearly every thread in my car running is running bad is an Edelbrock carb. Next is a Reman or worn out Qjet. I can forgive a 40 to 50 year old messed with carb, not a brand new castings, out of box carb.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here's another little butt nugget about these: there are little aluminum plugs all over. One actually fell out of the secondary booster assembly. I tried to flip it over and drive it back in, but it still looked like it would leak. So, I threw some JB Weld in over top, then filed it flat.
20191005_150829.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's another little butt nugget about these: there are little aluminum plugs all over. One actually fell out of the secondary booster assembly. I tried to flip it over and drive it back in, but it still looked like it would leak. So, I threw some JB Weld in over top, then filed it flat.
Makes me wonder if that's not been a noticeable issue that's been plaguing all the bad running carbs. 42,000 new parts and performance still won't get in tune, with one or more of these plugs gone, if unnoticed, could sill give you fits.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
I've had a lot of Edelbrocks and have had very good luck with them. Easy and straightforward to tune and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor